Chapter 35 - Failure

I heard the Slytherin supporters cheer then ran off. The others followed my lead and we walked to the Pitch. I looked around, I couldn't see James anyway. Only Sirius, who walked up to us, running a hand through his hair. Marlene ran up to him.

"We saw what happened! Where's James?" Marlene asked him and Sirius heaved a sigh.

"Madam Hooch brought him to the Hospital Wing. He should be there now." He explained.

"But what happened? Why is he at the Hospital Wing?" Peter asked him.

"I don't know. All I know is that he's seriously hurt and he's not dead. And before anyone says something, I did not add in that pun on purpose." Sirius added and I'll admit, I was going to say something.

"This is terrible." Remus stated. Everyone nodded in agreement. "James has only lost one Quidditch game, and it wasn't his fault."

"Imagine what this loss feels for him?" Peter added. "He was Seeker and he's captain."

"And he lost to my stupid brother." Sirius said and rolled his eyes, crossing his arms.

"Who's in Slytherin." Marlene said. "James lost to Slytherin." Alice, Frank and Peter gasped and Sirius turned white.

"I know it's Slytherin, but what's so bad about-" I started, then realised how stupid I was.

"You're new here Fall. Last time James lost a match was to Ravenclaw. In that match he was Chaser and Gryffindor had a pretty terrible Seeker, so you think it would be fine right?" Sirius explained and I nodded slowly. "But it wasn't. James hid in our dormitory for nearly a whole month and only came out for classes. He blamed himself for the whole thing."

"And now he lost to Slytherin, he was Seeker and he's captain. James will blame himself for everything, literally. He really takes Quidditch seriously, doesn't he?" Lily asked. The other three Marauders turned to her with wide eyes.

"Hang on, Evans, did you just address James as - James?" Sirius asked with a smirk. "And was that sympathy in your voice?"

Lily rolled her eyes. "No it wasn't. I was just saying."

"Quick! Someone grab her and take her to the Hospital Wing! We need to tell Prongs what just happened!"

"Does it matter, Black?!"

"Yes it does! It matters a lot! You care about James!"

"I don't!"

"Yes you do!"

"No I don't!"

"What matters is the fact that James is in the Hospital Wing and we should go check if he's okay!" Alice interrupted Sirius and Lily. Sirius sighed then nodded. We then walked back to the castle and to the Hospital Wing.

When we arrived at the Hospital Wing, I wasn't expecting what had happened. We spotted James sitting down on one of the beds and leaning against the bedhead. He saw us then looked in the other direction.

"Go away."

The other Marauders sighed then walked closer. "I said, go away." James repeated. His arm was in a cast and sling and he looked terrible. Well not exactly terrible, but he looked defeated which was even worse.

"James, we just wanted to check if you were okay-" Peter said but James quickly interrupted him.

"I'm not okay. I'm a failure."

"You're not a failure." Marlene stated. "You're overreacting-"

"Overreacting?! Overreacting?!" James yelled and glared at her. "I lost to Slytherin! Slytherin!!"