Chapter 38 - The Train Ride Back

Isabel didn't talk to the others while they walked to the train station in Hogsmeade. Well, Alice, Frank, James and Sirius were staying at Hogwarts for the Christmas holidays. Isabel wished she could stay with them but she couldn't, she felt like she needed to go back and see if Hugh was alright. 

Lily and Marlene were talking excitedly about their plans for the Christmas holidays. Lily was planning on visiting Marlene over the holidays, and Marlene was telling her about all the things they could do. The Marauders were chatting excitedly as well, reminding each other about sending letters and how James and Sirius will figure out more pranks on Snivellus before Peter and Remus got back. They all sounded cheerful about the next week or so, quite the opposite of what Isabel was feeling, but she didn't want to ruin that for them. 

Someone tapped her shoulder and she turned around, smiling. It was James. He pushed his glasses up against his nose and said, "Uh... make sure you send letters, to any of us, just so we know." 

Isabel nodded and looked down. "Yeah, I'll try." 

"And be careful too."

Her smile grew wider. "Wow, Rudolph didn't know you cared that much." James raised an eyebrow at the nickname. 

"Hey, you come back with bruises all over you..." He lowered his voice so that no one else could hear. "You can't blame me for being worried." 

Isabel sighed. "I know, I'm not. But I'll be careful, I promise."

James smiled and the train whistle blew. He sighed and nodded. "You better go,"

"Yeah..." She nodded and Remus walked over to them. Isabel turned and smiled at him, taking his hand. 

"Ready to go?" He asked and she nodded again.

"Yeah, I think." Isabel stepped onto the train when Sirius ran to her, a shocked and offended expression on his face.

"Oi Fall!" He yelled and smirked. "Aren't you forgetting something?"

Isabel smiled and raised an eyebrow, leaning on the edge of the door. She gasped in realisation. "Oh of course! How could I forget? Bye Footsie and Merry Christmas! You to Rudolph, and Alice and Frank... I can't believe I forgot about Christmas." She said to Remus who chuckled. She hugged Alice and shook Frank's hand. Then she and Remus joined Marlene, Peter and Lily in the compartment. 

Isabel sat down near the window as the train started to move. Remus sat down beside her and rested his arm on her shoulders. She sighed with content and placed her head on his shoulder, leaning against him. She gasped in realisation suddenly and grabbed her bag on the floor. 

"I nearly forgot, that's for you." She grabbed her book, Never Let Me Go and handed it to Remus. "I haven't finished it yet but I don't want to continue."

Remus chuckled and took it from her. "Am I worthy now?" He asked jokingly and she laughed. 

"Yes, but also because I don't want to finish it."

He smiled at her knowingly.  "Why?"

She took a breath in and sighed. "I think someone is going to die..." Isabel admitted and Marlene looked up. 

"Is it Tommy? Is Tommy going to die?" She asked and pouted. "Aw, Izzy, its okay, he's only fiction - wait is it actually Tommy?"

Isabel looked down. "Well-"

"Wait, no spoilers, remember?" Remus interrupted and raised an eyebrow jokingly. Isabel turned to him and smiled.

"Right, of course." She grabbed his hand and lay back down on his shoulder. She yawned and started to close her eyes. "I'm tired..."