13: Take back the night

A WEEK LATER

Taraji

It's the night of the Swarovski party and I've ended up going with Terrence.

His charming ass convinced me to give him a chance to prove himself. I didn't tell him that I'm convinced though.

I walk inside my walk-in closet and decide that I wanna go for a simple look tonight. I choose a long,red dress with a slit directly in the front.

I accessorise my outfit with simple gold heels and golden earrings. My makeup is done by my personal make-up artist.

I was too lazy to do my own make-up.

I hear my phone ringing in the living room,where I left it to charge and when I pick it up,Terrence's number shows up.

He is face-timing me.

"Terrence,I don't have time right now!"I say,sounding frustrated.

I've gotta go do some touch ups on my hair and then call someone to drive me to the event.

"Don't worry,Raji,I gotchu! I'm coming right now"he says,looking back up at the screen.

"Why do you always feel the need to rescue me?"I ask him,raising my eyebrows.

"Because you're my very own damsel in dis-"

"I am not! And the sooner you get that through your thick skull,the better!"I say.

Ok,that was a bit harsh.

"Look,I'm sorry about what I did,Taraji. I really am-"

I sigh and hang up.

No amount of apologies could take away the pain that I felt when he slept with his wife again.

Well,ex wife now,cos he signed the papers.

But she hasn't. So technically he's still married.

Terrence

Do I have a right to be a bit hurt by what Taraji just said?

No.

I decide to just brush that thought out of my head and leave the house. When I get to my garage,I remember that I didn't hire anyone to drive me there and end up getting my black Porsche.

I drive over to Taraji's place,even though I know she doesn't wanna see me right now.

I pull up and park my car right in front of her house and walk out of the car. My black dress shoes tap,with each step I take. I've ditched by suit jacket and am only wearing a white dress shirt with the first few buttons undone.

My bow tie is not as tight as it should be. But I don't care.

I get to her door and knock several times,before she shouts:"I'm coming!" from inside.

I secretly smile,loving the sound of her voice.

She opens the door and I feel my throat get dry. "You look so beautiful,Raji"I say,looking into her eyes.

I know she likes it when I do that .

She blushes and looks down. "Thank you"she says,stepping aside so she I can come inside.

After she closes the door,I am faced with the awkward silence and realise that she is waiting for me to say something.

"Taraji,what did you do to your hair?"I ask her.