01 | The Route

01
the route

The route to my unknown destination is quiet and unsettling. I keep shifting in my seat, not liking the questions swarming my thoughts. The atmosphere is tense and I'm dying to jump out the car window.

"You okay babe?" Claudia asks, frowning at me in worry, "Is it the nerves? I told you to take sleeping pills before we left!"

I turn to face the window, "No. No nerves, I'm just..." I sigh.

I glance at her, trying to tell her with my eyes I don't know how to describe my situation but she's just clueless.

Claudia frowns and shakes her head.

"You can't show up in there all boring and plain, Eleanor," she says nervously, "I don't know how to fix this..." she mumbles.

I raise an eyebrow, not knowing what she means. I don't know where she's taking me. A part of me is scared. It sounds as though she's setting me up on a blind date.

"This hotel... it's safe, right?" I ask with uncertainty.

Claudia glances at me and back on the road.

She scoffs, "Of course it is. Where do you think I'm taking you? Area fifty one?"

I smile and try to calm my racing and curious heart. Claudia out of the blue barged into my dorm room and told me we're going away for spring break.

I should've fought harder to stay home.

"We're almost there!" she exclaims happily, doing a little dance like someone does when they've first gotten their driver's license and car.

I hum in response and bob my head to the beat of the radio. All of a sudden, the sound of a tire popping erupts and the car makes a weird noise before it slows down and stops completely.

Thank God Claudia managed to pull on the side in time. Rage road drivers scare the shit out of me.

I stay still while Claudia freaks in the driver's seat.

"What the hell?!" she shouts, hitting the steering wheel, "We were so fucking close!"

I exhale, "Maybe it's a sign from God we should go home."

Claudia shakes her head frantically, "No. We did not drive all this way just to turn back around and leave, Nora. Call for help and I'll check it out."

I groan in annoyance while she checks the tire. I look for signal on my phone and dial for help.

"How can I help you?" a monotone voice asks.

"My friend's tire just popped in the middle of the road," I inform him, "We need a tire change quick."

It's silent on the other end before the man asks my location. I give him the street address before hanging up and hop out the car, watching Claudia silently.

"Any luck?" I ask, knowing the answer already.

Claudia Michaelson is too stubborn for her own good.

She sighs loudly, clearly annoyed, "No. Any help coming?"

I nod, "Ten minutes."

Claudia checks her phone, "Wanna walk to the hotel while I stay back?"

I snort, "I'm not walking by myself in the middle of the night in a town I don't know, Claudia."

Her shoulders slump, "Come on, Eleanor! This trip is supposed to be an adventure!"