06 | Bidding Fairwell

06
bidding fairwell

The plane ride is filled with uneasy tension. Claudia was asleep, thank God. I was worried I'd have to carry her on the plane by myself since Aiden walked out the ball room with his men.

I don't know how to feel about Claudia. I thought she betrayed me, lied to me. I thought she was one of those girls who put her boyfriends before her friend but she heard Jordan on the phone talking about selling me and she tried to save me.

How do I overlook that?

I walk out the bathroom slowly, the plane making me move side to side and use the chairs for support. I chose to sit far away from Aiden since I don't know how to feel about him either.

He looks out the window thoughtfully, darkness clouding his features.

Is he angry? Hurt? I can't tell from his blank stares and short answers. He built a wall for himself and leaves me on the other side.

"Again, I catch you staring at me, princess," his deep voice shakes me from my thoughts.

I look down on my fingers. They're trembling.

"I don't know how to talk to you," I say softly.

"It's better that way," he replies calmly.

I wrap the furry blanket around my body like a cape. Leaning back, I try to rest and sleep but too many flashbacks of tonight run through my mind.

I start shaking, my tense muscles moving uncontrollably. I lean forward and try to calm my breathing. I hear Aiden shift in his seat and see his shadow figure lean over me.

"Don't," I say quickly, "I'm okay. I'm fine."

"You don't seem fine," he argues, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

I laugh humorlessly. "Like you would care," I mutter bitterly.

"Would it be a crime if I did?" he spits back.

I send him a heated glare.

He glares back but with him it seems more frightening.

I sigh and look ahead of me, "I don't like seeing dead bodies around me. Just a thought you should probably know."

He rolls his eyes and sits beside me. I scoot away before I feel his hand on my thigh, gripping me in warning.

"Stop running away from me," he orders, "I'm trying to talk to you."

I snort, "You always give me short answers. Not exactly a conversation, is it?"

"You always ask personal and stupid questions," he throws, narrowing his eyes.

"Jackass," I spat, my spit landing on his face.

His eyes darken and he wipes it off angrily.

"Whore," he growls. It almost sounds inhuman. It scares me but I'm too angry to care right now.

"Pussy," I retort.

"Slut," he snaps.

"Pencil di—"

"Shut up, both of you, you're giving me a headache," Claudia groans.

I huff, leaning back and look out the plane window. I hear Aiden's deep breathing, trying to calm down.

"Dogs like you bite," I say lowly, "Hard."

♠♠♠

I drop my luggage on the floor, sighing happily.

"We're finally free!" I raise my arms in the air in victory.

"We haven't even left the hotel yet," Claudia chuckles, "We need to use the bathroom before getting on the road!"

I nod and zip up the last of my luggage. I'm still skeptical about Aiden letting us leave so easily. He didn't fight me, he just left and I never saw him since we landed.

Claudia huffs, "Have you seen Aiden?"

I shake my head, "I'm not planning on saying goodbye."

She frowns, "Me either but then there's Jordan—"

"Don't tell me you're still caught up on him," my eyebrows furrow.

She shifts on her feet, "Eleanor—"

"Don't," I cut her off quickly, "He tried to sell me. If you want him, go and get him but I'm not getting in between the three of you crazy bastards."

"I can't believe you think so low of me, princess."

I spin around, surprisingly not shocked at all that Aiden is standing right by my door, my only exit, like he's guarding it.

I cross my arms. "You should be better at reading people for someone who does illegal business," I say smartly.

His lips twitch, "As a matter of fact, I am. But that's not why I'm here. Just wanted to say goodbye to my friend."

"I'm not your friend," I snap angrily.

"You're not a stranger either."

"I'm not your ally if that's what you're hoping I'll be."

"But you won't be my enemy, will you Nora?" he smiles, tilting his head.

"I'm actually thinking I've been on that side since the moment I met you."

Harsh words, Nora! My subconscious tells me.

He nods, looking down before looking at Claudia behind me, "I'm guessing this is the end of your nightmare?"

I nod slowly, "Hopefully I'll wake up and never see you again."

He sighs, shaking his head, mocking disappointment.

"It's a shame our adventure was so short. I was hoping we'd go deeper into our relationship."

I scoff, "We don't have a relationship, Aiden."

"That's what you'd like to believe," he says calmly, talking to me like a child.

I am not a child.

"You act as if we're two long lost lovers," I say flatly, "This thing between us seems to be going a little fast, don't you think?"

He chuckles, "The best relationships are the fast ones, princess. There's no pair out there like us."

"I'd really appreciate it if you'd leave my room," I tell him, looking down.

His words are having an effect on me and I couldn't be distracted by his words.

"Gladly," he spits, before walking out.

Claudia whistles lowly, "That was something. Do you think he'll stop us?"

I shrug, "You know him better than I do."

She snorts, "He's unpredictable."

"Can we leave now?" I ask, my words coming back to haunt me. "I don't want to stay here a minute longer."

She nods and drags her luggage outside the hallway. I follow after her silently and pass the lobby. I see Aiden's figure near the doors on the phone with a cold expression. He doesn't notice me when I get inside Claudia's car.

She gets comfortable in her seat. "Freedom here we come," she sings softly.

I focus on the window as usual, not up to Claudia's driving theatrics. Aiden walks out, power radiating off him like waves.

His eyes meet mine and he freezes. I freeze in my spot too. His eyes stare at me like he wants to do something, say something.

I can only imagine what else he has to say.

I face forward and let Claudia drive us back home. Far away from Aiden.