17 | Midnight Apolgizes

The sound of my heartbeat wakes me up from my slumber. I'm not surprised when I wake up to bright white lights and a plain, dull hospital room.

I check all the needles and wires connected to my arm and chest. I see a bandage covering where I was last shot and I don't have to peel it off to know the doctor's stitched me up.

How kind of them, I think bitterly to myself. I don't know if this is a real hospital or one of the men's safehouses.

The door opens and the man who shot me walks in, a smile on his face.

"Good morning Eleanor," he greets politely, "How was your sleep?"

"Good since I managed to get away from you," I reply with sass.

He chuckles, shaking his head and sitting on the couch in front of the hospital bed. His posture was someone who has power and authority.

"I've informed Aiden of your predicament," he says slowly, watching my reaction, "He doesn't seem quite happy with me."

I pout, "Aw. Who saw that one coming?" I look around. "Oh. I know, I know! Me!"

His eyes darken, "Don't play games with me, Eleanor Holt. You're lucky I kept you alive."

I lean back against my pillow, my arm sore and numb, "And I'm very grateful for that."

His eyes flicker to the machine that knows my heart rate and back to me. "If I gave you the chance to leave right now... would you?"

"Why are you asking me this?"

He shrugs, "Just out of curiosity."

I shrug too, "I don't even know your name."

He smiles, "Damien."

I nod, "If I were to leave without you following me... I'd gladly take that chance without looking back. With Claudia, of course."

Damien nods, his eyebrows furrowed like he's thinking this through.

"I see," he says deeply, standing up and buttoning his suit jacket. "Well, now that we've got that covered, I'm just waiting for Mr. Giovanni's appearance."

I raise an eyebrow, "Great. What does that have to do with me?"

He smiles, "For leverage, of course. Insurance. Collateral damage."

"I didn't know I was that special," I say lowly, holding my arm and slowly rotating it.

He turns to the door, but not before calling out, "I'll bring your friend over if you'd like. Aiden will be delighted to see you safe and sound."

♠♠♠

Claudia's scratchy singing voice wakes me from my sleep.

"Please stop," I groan, covering my ears with pillows.

"Aiden's here," she hops onto my bed, perching herself on an elbow. "I heard growling and things slamming so I don't think he likes you being here."

I snuggle into my pillow. "Him and me both," I mumble.

"Oh, don't be like that," Claudia says, "I've got you!"

The door slams open, making Claudia and I jump at the sudden shock. Aiden's dark figure appears, his angry eyes finding mine. If it's even possible, he looks even more angry.

"We're leaving. Now."

Claudia gets off my bed.

I sit up, "I need clothes." But I wouldn't mind him staring at my bare back.