07 | Birthday Surprises

07
birthday surprises

Three weeks passed since I last saw Aiden.

Everything went back to normal, college classes, Claudia partying, me calling home and staying inside my dorm room like a hermit in its shell.

I've been paranoid lately. Everything that drops, I jump or squeal. It annoys me.

It worries Claudia. I can see the guilt in her eyes. She regrets bringing me to Cupid's Cabin.

She explained to me why we went there. She wanted me to find a boyfriend, hence the hotel's strange name. But I realized that hotel brings indescribable sins and crime.

There's a knock on the door.

Claudia pokes her head inside. "Happy birthday," she sings softly.

Also today happens to be my nineteenth birthday.

I focus back on my textbooks, "I'm not in the mood to celebrate this year."

She frowns, sitting on the edge of my bed, "You've been saying that for the last three years."

I shrug, "What's so important about it? It was nineteen years ago."

"Well, when you say it like that, it's true in a way... but it's still something to celebrate!" she exclaims.

I blankly stare at her, "I'd rather focus on my classes I'm currently failing because of you-know-what." I give her a pointed look.

She looks away sheepishly, "Sorry."

"Don't be," I tell her, "I'm over it."

"If you're over it, you wouldn't have pointed it out," she coughs.

I glare at her, "Are you over it?" I ask curiously.

She shrugs, her eyes on the floor, "I just... trusted Jordan, you know? I didn't think he'd go behind my back and try to get you sold."

I nod slowly, "Have you heard from him?"

Claudia shakes her head. She pulls out a box from her bag and hands it to me with a small smile.

"We don't have to sing or anything, but there's no harm in eating it right?" she grins.

I grin back, taking the cake box from her, "It better be chocolate."

"Of course it is! What's better?!

♠♠♠

"Don't freak out," Claudia says before stepping into my dorm room cautiously.

I groan and lay on my side, having just woken up by her banging on my door, "Spit it out. I'm tired."

She takes a deep breath, "I think I saw Aiden today."

That catches my attention.

I sit up straight. "Tell me you're joking," I demand, slight terror in my voice.

Claudia shakes her head, tucking her hair behind her ear, "I was walking out campus and I saw his car. At first, I thought it was a coincidence, you know? But then I saw his boots... then his jacket... then his face."

She takes a step forward, "I'm not hallucinating and I swear I haven't taken anything that dude in astronomy class gave me since I barfed all over you that one time!"

I try and calm myself down but it's not working.

"Claudia..." I say warningly.

"Don't," she cuts in quickly, "It was like thirty minutes ago and he hasn't done anything yet! There's still hope."