15 | One Day Free

"How are your classes going?" mom asks through the phone.

I shift the object and put it in between my ear and shoulder while I pack up for class, "Everything's fine. Let's not talk about me, tell me what's going on at home."

Mom laughs slightly, "Oh honey, we miss you. Come home for the holidays, okay?"

I nod even though she can't see me. "I miss you mom," I tell her.

"Don't worry about me baby, you go enjoy your youth."

"If only every parent were like you," I smile, hanging up.

I walk inside Claudia's dorm room to find her sleeping. She was hugging a long pillow with uggs and sweatpants. I see trash and take out everywhere, meaning she stayed up all night watching movies.

She'll still upset about the false pregnancy.

I can tell it's eating her up. It seems like a miscarriage more than a false alarm. Aiden was suspicious, Claudia was terrified but most newbie parents are. And then there's me, the girl who doesn't know what she wants and can't fight for her opinions with people trying to kidnap her apparently.

Claudia shifts and her eyes open, she stretches. "Hey you," she yawns, "How's your morning going?"

I drop the dorm room keys onto her desk loudly, to annoy her, "It's the afternoon, babe. Come on, get up."

She groans, "No! I'm tired. I just wanna get paid for sleeping in."

I roll my eyes, grabbing both her ankles and pulling her off the bed, "You and the world want that but the world doesn't work like that, babe."

She whimpers, kicking me away from her, "Let. Me. Sleep!"

"No!" I groan, adding more strength into my noodle-like arms, "Get up!"

She lifts her head up before dropping it. Probably too much energy for her in her state right now, "Go read books or something. Go online dating. Just leave me alone!"

I drop my arms in defeat and sigh, putting my hands on my hips. "You're right. I should do that," I grab my bag and keys and head out the dorm.

"Just like that?" Claudia asks, confused.

I nod, "Just like that."

She sighs, a clear sign she's giving in to her own words, "Give me five minutes."

I squeal, "I'll wait for you at Starbucks!"

I jog to the coffee shop only a few blocks away. I've noticed I've gain some weight lately and I keep telling myself I'll work out. This is my first time and I feel like I'm sweating enough money to feed dehydrated kids.

The waitresses smiles at me for being the usual costumer, "Same order as always?" she asks me.

I wink at her and sit by the window. I pull out my MacBook and start typing my essay I missed since I was away with him.

I refuse to say his name. The longest I've been away from him was three weeks but now it's going to be longer. I'll make sure of it.

My mocha frappe appears on my table and I smile, eagerly eating the whip cream. Twenty minutes pass and I'm halfway done with this useless paper on—I don't even remember what it's about anymore.

Claudia comes into the cafe, groaning like a zombie until her bored eyes land on me. She grumbles and sits beside me, creating loud noises when she drops her bag and moves her chair.

"Could you be any louder?" I murmur, typing my finger's lives away.

She sighs, flipping through the tiny menu, "Did you see the news?"

I frown, "No, what about it?"

"There was a shootout in Italy. Near Cupid's Cabin," she informs me.

"Another one?" I ask.

She shrugs, "Two shootouts in one week at the same place? Seems unusual. Especially since we've only been gone for like two days."

I shake my head, focusing back on my essay, "I don't want to talk about it."

She stares at me, "Just thought you should know. Oh, and also, Aiden's nearby. There was video footage of him being in a bank where another shootout occurred, only a few towns away."

I force my eyes on her, "He was robbing a bank?"

Claudia shakes her head, "He was at a bank where people were killed. But I know him and he never leaves the house unprotected and unarmed."

I sigh and lean back on my chair, sipping my mocha, "Is that all?"

She blinks, "Yeah."

I nod slowly, looking out the window, "I don't want to know any more, please."

"Sure, babe," she stands up and adjusts her bag, "Let's go to class."

I nod and follow her.

  ♠♠♠  

I put the fourteenth glass down and lay backwards on my bed. My body is numb and my head is throbbing. My bed makes it better though. My bed always makes it better.

I can smell the odor of my breath and it revolts me. I hear the doorknob jingling and I see Claudia with my roommate who's been away for a while.

What's her name again? Megan? Miley? Melisha?

The girl with the letter 'm' frowns and shakes her head at me before rolling her eyes and going inside the bathroom.

Claudia glares in her direction before turning back to me, "How much have you drank?"

I make a weird popping sound with my lips and play with my fingers, "I have no idea."

"I'm surprised you aren't slurring your words yet," she comments proudly, "You're not a light weight and for that, I'm thankful."

I chuckle, my shoulders vibrating weirdly, "Ohhhh, God, I'm wasted."

Claudia jumps on my roommate, whatshername's bed, "Can we visit your parents this weekend?"

I roll on my side and look at her through heavy eyelids, "Why out of the blue?"

She shrugs, "Nothing's been going on here. And besides, we've missed so much of school. I don't want my money to go to waste. I'm thinking of dropping out since I'm so behind."

Those words weren't enough to make me jump out of bed. 

"You shouldn't do that," I murmur, "How will you succeed in your dream?"

"Don't worry about my dream, worry about your's."

And just like that, I'm asleep.

  ♠♠♠  

I'm in a car. It's silent, as always. Whenever it's not silent, I'm asking questions that are never answered. The driver focuses on the road, sometimes glancing at me. Once, he rests his hand on my thigh. His touch brings electric to my body.

He turns to face me, his lips moving but I don't know what he's saying. His face is so flawless, worth dying for. His face can make a thousand women cry just by looking at it. He winks at me, making me smile.

He turns back to the road and I can't help but feel empty. I miss him. I miss his annoying cocky self. I miss his harsh words. I miss his nice words. I even miss it when he's hurt and he comes to me for help.

My phone rings, waking me up from my sleep.