14 | Effects of Disagreement

"Keep that fucking thing away from me," Claudia snaps when she sees the needle in the doctor's hand.

"Claudia, he needs to test your blood, let him do his job," I pressure her.

Claudia shakes her head vigorously, "All I want is a check up. There's nothing about a fucking needle piercing into my skin."

The doctor puts the needle away, "Since you don't want me to do blood tests, I'll need you to pee in a cup for me. Multiple times for confirmation."

Claudia raises an eyebrow. I pray to God she won't have to pee multiple times on a stick.

 "I'll do the damn blood test."

The doctor's shoulder slump in relief. He walks over to Claudia and she shuts her eyes tightly, showing her arm to him.

I look away when I see him put the needle in her arm, hearing her squeal in discomfort. 

"Ugh, this is so weird!" she squeals.

I excuse myself and go get a bottle of water. There was a vending machine near the waiting room. I watch a couple fawn over their infant baby and I can't help but smile. The man peppers kisses all over his partner's face and memories of last night come rushing back like waves.

My body shivers, forcing me into doing a weird dance in the middle of a hallway. People glance at me weirdly and I quickly push the buttons for water.

I roam around the hospital hallways and see men in suits on their phones and talking into earpieces. They check every room and seem to be separated in groups.

Could they be after us?

I rush back to Claudia's room to see her with a solemn look.

"What's wrong?" I ask, approaching her.

She releases a ragged breath. Scratching her head, she replies, "The doctor says I'm not pregnant."

"What?" I nearly shout.

Claudia barks out a laugh, "Apparently, I missed my period because of stress... and I'm gaining weight because of an eating disorder. So, basically, I'm depressed and stressed out."

She shakes her head, "At least I don't have to worry about a baby anymore!" she tries to cheer up.

I frown, "Don't say that, babe."

She glances behind me, "Who's patrolling the halls?"

"Men in suits searching the rooms," I summarize.

Claudia raises an eyebrow, "Are you sure they're not after us? You seem calm about this."

I shrug, "I'm tired of running. And besides, Aiden will find us and get us back."

She narrows her eyes, "Ellie... men in suits are capable of beating the shit out of women. They don't care if they're pregnant or not."

"They passed us, didn't they?"

She shrugs, "I guess you're right."

"Is the doctor coming back?"

She shakes her head and leaves the room. I follow after her and we walk around silently. A nurse comes up to us. "Are you Claudia Michaelson and Eleanor Holt?"

I nod on our behalf.

"Mr. Giovanni asked me to escort you out back," she informs us, leading us to the elevators and out an exit.

Aiden leans against his car, busy on his phone behind the hospital. He looks up and hides his phone when he sees us coming.

"Glad you two could make it," he deep voice says.