Chapter Two

First dedication just has to go to theuniversaloutcast! An enormous fan for this book who waited desperately and eagerly for weeks to see if I would write a story for Suzanna. Thanks! Love your comments and all the support you've given me! :)

Enjoy xx
~~~

Chapter Two

Suzanna groaned as she lifted the bucket once again. She had volunteered to run this errand for a poor servant who was behind in their chores, mostly out of boredom, and it had seemed like a good idea at the time. But now she was full of regret; the bucket of water was much heavier than she had expected. She was meant to take the bucket to the servants washing clothes outside. She had managed to make it through the palace doors, but now her arms were aching and her fingers burning.

She sighed and placed the bucket back on the ground. Suzanna looked around, hoping to perhaps see another servant who could take over the job. The courtyard was surprisingly empty.

"You can do this, Suzanna," she told herself. She heaved out a breath and yanked the bucket back up, nearly toppling over in the process. "You are strong, you are strong, you are not weak, you can do this," she muttered as she took a few mores steps.

Her fingers and arms screamed for mercy. She ignored the pain and continued walking.

When her arms had begun to shake she tightened her lips and forced herself to keep going. Just when she thought she could not take one more step, a pair of arms reached out and took the bucket from her. She breathed deeply as the pain slowly faded from her arms and relief spread through her body. Never again. Those servants were much stronger than they looked.

"Allow me to help you, my lady," the person said. Suzanna finally looked up to see a familiar face. A handsome man with bright blue eyes and chestnut hair stared back at her. He held the bucket easily, looking like it was no strain for him at all.

"Thank you, Samuel," Suzanna said. His eyebrows raised in response.

"You know who I am?" he asked in what sounded like genuine shock.

Suzanna smiled at him. "Well of course! Who else could you be? My brother thinks very highly of you; you are one of our best knights. And besides, you have been in my life since I can remember. I could never forget who you are. And - oh, I am sorry," Suzanna stopped short, feeling a slight blush warm her cheeks. "My family always tells me I talk too much. Just start looking bored or amused when I have been going too long - that's what most people do and it always shuts me up. In fact, Tristan used to - oh, I am doing it again." Suzanna squeezed her eyes shut briefly. Oh God, what a fool I must look like - he probably thinks my brain has flown off with the clouds.

Samuel smiled at her. "I do not think you talk too much," he said. The words warmed her heart.

And he seems to talk very little, Suzanna thought briefly.

"I am sure you must be the first person to believe so," she responded, laughing at herself. Samuel smiled again and held the bucket up a little higher.

"Where were you taking this?"

"To the servants, just over there," Suzanna answered, pointing in the right direction. Samuel turned around and began walking. Suzanna immediately followed, hurrying to keep up with him. He slowed down when he realised she was coming too.

"May I ask why you were carrying this, my lady?" he asked curiously. Suzanna flinched at his formal tone. She recalled that even Tristan had complained that Samuel sometimes still insisted on calling him 'my lord' or 'Your Highness', particularly when there were others around. If Samuel was formal with his closest friend, Suzanna did not have a hope. She broke out of her thoughts when she realised Samuel was staring at her, waiting for an answer. Or perhaps he was just staring. For a split second, Suzanna thought to herself how handsome he really was. He was tall, though perhaps a few centimetres shorter than Tristan, and boasted the same strong muscles that all the knights seemed to have. His facial features were strong and yet there was a kindness and softness about him.