Chapter Twenty-Seven

Suzanna froze and felt icy fear race through her veins as she stared up at Sarah. Tristan was by their side almost immediately, a dark expression on his face. Next to her, Samuel tensed, looking like he was hardly breathing. She rested her hand on his shoulder, trying to comfort him.

"Let her go, Caden," Tristan called out in a booming voice.

"You are in no position to command me, my lord, unless you are willing to sacrifice this girl," Caden mocked. Samuel clenched his hands into fists, his face enraged.

"What do you want?" Samuel called in response.

"You will return the princess to me or this woman will die. She is my betrothed and bound to the agreement."

"That agreement was void as soon as your identity was discovered. She is betrothed to Duke Wilson, not you," Tristan reminded him. Caden only pushed Sarah a step further to the edge of the balcony. Suzanna's heart raced and she felt nauseous.

"I should go," she murmured to them.

Samuel whipped his head around to look at her. "Absolutely not," he seethed. Suzanna crossed her arms, frowning at his vehemence.

Tristan, too, shook his head. "We are not going to risk your life, Suzy," he said plainly.

"You risk Sarah's by leaving me here."

Samuel turned to her fully, shaking his head. "It is too dangerous. We do not know what he will do."

"I could help her," Suzanna said softly.

Samuel took her hand, pulling it up to his chest. She could feel his heartbeat, steady but fast. "Suzanna, no. My heart cannot bear it."

Her gaze softened. "Very well, then." He seemed appeased, but inside Suzanna was forming a plan. She did not want to hurt her brother or Samuel, but they did not know Caden as well as she did. She knew that he would hold to his word and hurt Sarah if she did not go to him. She would have to slip away.

Samuel kept holding her hand, and Suzanna suspected it was more to make sure she stayed near them rather than a romantic gesture.

Caden was becoming impatient. "I meant it!" he cried out, seeing they were not responding. "Do not put to test my words."

Suzanna watched Sarah. She was looking right at them, terror evident in her expression. It was agony watching her afraid.

"You will not receive my sister," Tristan responded. "Surrender, Caden, and your judgement will not be so harsh."

"I am no fool!" Caden sneered. "Tell me, Samuel, captain of the guard. How do you choose to see your sister die? By knife or by height?"

Samuel tried to hide his reaction, but Suzanna saw true fear written on his face.

"Let her go," he demanded, his voice unshaken.

"Certainly, sir knight." Caden pushed Sarah closer to the edge of the balcony, forcing her to bend over the railing. She cried out in response, begging him to stop. Suzanna sucked in a breath, flashes of hanging off the edge of a cliff swirling in her mind.

"Please stop," she heard Sarah beg.

"Enough," Suzanna whispered. Before Samuel could react, she wrenched her hand away from his and began sprinting.

"Suzanna!" Samuel and Tristan yelled in unison. She heard footsteps and knew someone was following her.

Suzanna ran through the gates of the duchy and was immediately surrounded by Caden's guards. She caught sight of Samuel's desperate expression as he stared at her from the other side of the gates.