Chapter Sixteen

Suzanna woke up the next morning, pushed all negative thoughts aside, and eagerly prepared for her trip to the village. She dressed and skipped down to the kitchen. With Rose and Tristan newly married and Rose taking up new duties, Suzanna had offered to help at Rose's beloved home more often. It was good, regardless, for her townspeople to see their Princess more often.

The cook had already prepared an early breakfast and Mistress Eudora had packaged it inside a basket. She did not have to be at the village until noon but she had decided to go early. The surprise would excite the children, and she was sure the workers would appreciate it.

Suzanna took the basket from the kitchen and lifted the handkerchief covering the food. She pulled out a pastry and nibbled on it as she walked through the castle halls. It was surprisingly quiet for the morning after a royal wedding. She nodded at a few guards as she passed them; her thoughts drifting as she imagined how boring it must be to stand in a hall all day.

Distracted, she bumped into someone. She looked down to see big brown eyes staring up at her.

"Emily!" Suzanna said, surprised to see her younger sister. "What are you doing awake so early?" Emily's bottom lip quivered. Suzanna's heart released a painful pang in response to the tragic expression. "What is it? What's wrong?" Suzanna dropped to her knees and took her sister's hands.

"I couldn't sleep," she whispered.

"Why not?" Suzanna asked gently.

"I was thinking about Mummy," Emily finally said. She immediately erupted into a flood of tears. Suzanna felt grief touch her own soul. Their mother had died when Emily was only months old; hence Emily had no memories to treasure. The family rarely talked about the painful loss. Emily, however, often seemed to grieve what she had missed out on.

Suzanna reached out and pulled Emily against her chest. They held onto each other tightly, comforting the only way they could.

"It's okay," Suzanna whispered. "It's okay to hurt."

"I don't have a Mummy," Emily cried. Suzanna felt crushed, unable to provide an answer. She pulled back and wiped Emily's tear-stained cheek.

"You have a family who loves you more than anything in the world."

"Do you think she's-she's proud of me?" Emily asked with a little hiccup.

"Oh Emily, if Mother were here she would tell you every day how proud you make her. You have a wonderful, pure, gentle heart, just like she did. You make her proud, I promise," Suzanna answered, swallowing her own tears away.

"Will you tell me about her again?"

Suzanna smiled and stood up. "Of course." She held out her hand and Emily took it. Suzanna led her to the hallway where her family's portraits all hung. They walked past the noble painting of their father. Next to him hung the last portrait of their mother they had commissioned before she had passed away.

She was a timeless beauty. Big, brown eyes, fair skin, a soft smile, and delightful auburn hair that glowed red in the sun. Suzanna and Emily stared up at the painting. It was moments like these that brought tears to Suzanna's eyes. She had often been told she resembled her mother.

Emily had stopped crying and instead was staring at the woman she had never known.

"There she is," Suzanna whispered before she cleared her choked-up throat.

"Was she kind?"

"Very kind." Suzanna led Emily to a seat against the opposite wall where they could still see the picture. "Mother had the most wonderful laugh; it was full of joy and love for those around her. She ruled with warmth and kindness and she loved nothing more than to spend time with her children."