Chapter Three

Hello to anyone who is still here and waiting patiently!
It is true, I have returned from the world of being terribly stuck and doomed and finally wrote the chapter.
Sorry I left you all hanging for a month; I will try to update faster in the future!
If you're still with me - thank youuuu!
Xx Divine Romance
~~~

"My lady, he is here."

Suzanna shot out of her chair in a hurry, nearly slipping over the hem of her skirt in the process. Finally! She had been uneasy all afternoon, pacing and lost in her thoughts. She had eventually moved on to reading, but even then she had been restless and unable to concentrate.

Suzanna nodded at the servant who had informed her, then quickly raced out of her chambers and through the hallway. She smoothed her dress down as she walked, suddenly terrified of what Duke Wilson would think of her. Would he still want to marry her? They had not seen each other in a little while. Perhaps he would think her hair too wild or her opinions too strong.

She began walking down the stairs when she heard voices. She froze and bent down a little to peak through the staircase banister.

"Ah, Duke Wilson, it is good to see you again." It was her father. He moved forward to clasp the other man's hand. Suzanna smiled softly as she observed the Duke. He had hardly changed.

He had dark brown hair, nearly black, and the same piercing hazel eyes that Suzanna remembered. A simple stubbled beard framed his mouth and highlighted just how handsome he really was. He was draped in expensive looking fabrics with rich colours - deep purple and navy - that boasted of his wealth. Then again, he had never been one to try to hide how rich he was. If anything, he tended to revel in it. But Suzanna could not fault him too much on the fact, it was not uncommon behaviour of nobility.

"It is good to see you too, Your Highness. You look well," the Duke replied.

"As well as can be. How was your trip?"

The two exchanged pleasantries for a minute and Suzanna lost interested and drifted away with her thoughts. She was just wondering whether the Duke liked apple pie when the sound of her name brought her back to attention.

"You will want to see Suzanna, I assume?" Her father said.

"If she is here, of course," the Duke answered.

"I sent a servant to fetch her, she should be here any moment," her father replied as his gaze began searching for her.

Suzanna stood up quickly, straightening her back, then slowly began descending the stairs as gracefully as she could, pretending she had not just been spying on them. Both men turned her way when they heard the sound of her soft footsteps. Suzanna smiled at them as she covered the last few stairs.

"How lovely to see you, Duke Wilson," Suzanna said kindly when she had walked up to them.

"And you, Princess Suzanna. You are as beautiful as ever," the Duke replied seriously. Suzanna could practically feel the waves of pride wafting over to her from her father.

"I thank you," she answered. They stared at each other silently for a moment. "Your trip went well?" she finally asked even though she had already heard his answer.

"Very well," he answered. Their conversation fell into a lull once again. Suzanna rarely ran out of words to say, but the moment she greeted him her brain completely became blank.

Her father cleared his throat from beside her, clearly realising they were in need of help.

"You will join us for dinner?" he offered. The Duke bowed his head gratefully.