Chapter Twenty-Five

Yes, it is true, you are not dreaming. I am alive and have posted again after FOUR MONTHS!! I lost motivation and inspiration to write for a loooooong time. I'm sorry to everyone who has been waiting - I have seen every single comment and message asking me to update.
Thank you all sooo much for being so supportive and patient!
XX Divine Romance.

~~~

Suzanna had just pulled herself out of the hidden passageway in the library when she heard voices drawing closer. Panicking, she pulled the trapdoor closed rather loudly and ran to the opposite side of the room, brushing down her dress as she hurried.

She paused and held her breath, trying to make out the words.

"...heard footsteps... no sign... dungeon..."

Suzanna released a small gasp and pressed herself against the wall. They had heard her in the dungeon with Sarah.

"Check the princess," another voice replied.

Suzanna grabbed the book nearest to her and opened it, pretending to have been scanning the pages. The doors to the library opened and a guard peeked his head inside. Suzanna looked up innocently and closed the book.

"Can I help you, sir?" she asked.

The man hesitated, scanning the room. "Nay. I am sorry to disturb you, my lady. We had not heard any noise from the library in some time." The man looked at her suspiciously and Suzanna gave him her brightest smile.

"Reading is not often a loud task."

"Aye, of course. I will not disturb you any longer. Forgive me. Farewell." He bowed his head and left the room, closing the door behind him. Suzanna sighed and leaned back against the wall, holding the book against her chest.

She breathed slowly, trying to ease her nerves.

Sarah was trapped and Wilson was nowhere to be found. She had heard no news about Samuel; she hoped that meant he had evaded Caden's trap. Suzanna placed the book back on the shelf and slowly meandered to the library doors. She did not know what her next step should be. Where, oh where, was Samuel?

She left the library, ignoring the stares of the guards, and walked aimlessly down the hallway. She did not care where she might end up - the guards would stop her if she walked somewhere she was not allowed. Suzanna briefly wondered if Caden was expecting to keep her under the same level of captivity when - if - they were married.

Suzanna was walking past the kitchen when she heard a familiar voice - Caden. She frowned. He had said he was going to the village, although it did not truly surprise her that he had lied. Suzanna looked around. There were no guards stationed nearby.

She leaned her head against the door to the kitchen, straining to hear. All the sounds were muffled. Suzanna bit her lip. She had to know what he was saying - what if he gave vital information about Wilson or his plan? What if he was talking about Samuel or one of her siblings?

Carefully, she raised her hand to the door handle and slowly began pushing it down. When she had pushed the handle down as far as it needed, she inched the door open ever so slightly. She took her hand away and held her breath. As far as she could tell, no one had noticed her.

The door was open just enough for her to be able to peek inside with one eye. She looked through and could just make out Caden, though she could not see who he was speaking to.

"He is very weak, my lord," the mystery voice said.

"How much longer do you predict?" Caden asked.