Chapter Nineteen

After seeming to get stuck for a good few months, I feel like I'm finally back on track with this story. I hope to get updates out faster... but I'm not going to make a promise.
Enjoy, my brilliant readers! I am so grateful for all of you.

Xx Divine Romance

~~~~

Suzanna's skirt rustled around her legs as she ran through the castle. Where could he possibly be? Her search seemed endless, yet she so badly needed to see him - talk to him. She burst through the main doors of the castle which led outside. Her eyes scanned the courtyard quickly.

There! She caught his distinct form striding in the direction of the stables. Suzanna ran, even as people eyed her curiously.

"Samuel!" she called. He turned around immediately, a hopeful expression on his face.

"Suzanna," he breathed as she neared him. His face was pale, his eyes anxious. Suzanna's heart skipped a beat - both from being near him and seeing his distress.

"I have to speak to you," they said at the same time. Samuel gave a small chuckle, though it sounded forced.

"Come with me," he said. Suzanna followed him willingly to the stables. It was quiet inside, she could not even see the stableboys. Samuel reached for her hands immediately and squeezed them softly.

"What's happened?" Suzanna asked.

"I'm leaving."

Suzanna's heart thumped with anxiety, even though she knew he must be going to find Caden - a good thing. "Now?"

"Yes."

"You promised you would find me before you left," Suzanna said, slightly hurt. Had he been about to ride off without talking to her?

"I know," Samuel said, pulling her a step closer by tugging on her hands. "I searched for you, even asking at your chambers. I could not find you and I have to leave in a hurry."

Amusing. They had both been searching for each other and yet had not bumped into either one.

"Are you going after Caden?"

"My sister has been captured, I believe by Caden," Samuel spoke softly. Fear clamped around Suzanna, freezing her and stealing her breath. Samuel's hand fluttered to her cheek. "Breathe, Suzy, just breathe."

She pulled in a gasp of air and swallowed away the petrifying fear. "What happened?"

"Martin came to me saying Sarah had not returned from the market. He was worried. When we went to his house, the Duke's seal was hanging from a parchment on his door. I have to find her."

"But why would Caden take Sarah?"

"I suppose to draw me out. To gain the upper hand, perhaps."

Suzanna felt that icy fear once more. She clutched onto his hand tightly, afraid to ever let go. "But Samuel, that means you are doing exactly as Caden hopes. You are walking into his trap. What if he hurts you? What if something terrible happens?"

Samuel looked just as grieved as Suzanna.

"She is my sister," was his only response.

Suzanna stepped closer to him and rested against his chest. She blinked back the few tears threatening. Samuel's arms wrapped around her.

"I cannot bear to lose you," she whispered. "Not now, not when we have finally come together."

"I love you," he whispered in return. "No matter what, I love you, and I will fight to return to you."