Chapter Twenty-Four

Not that happy with this chapter, but we'll roll with it for now!
Enjoy :)

Xx Divine Romance
~~~

By the time their horses clattered into the castle courtyard, Samuel was completely exhausted. His arm still oozed the occasional drops of blood, but the bandage caught most of the fluid. Samuel felt like he had hardly slept, though they had allowed a few hours of rest over the two nights they had been travelling.

William had kept his spirits high, often chatting excitedly with that optimistic spirit of his. Big Magnus said very little. He had made no effort to escape or try to harm any of them - a fact which Samuel was grateful for. He was in no mood to have to deal with a difficult captive.

The guards saluted as Samuel and William pulled their horses to a stop.

"Find me the king and tell him Samuel has returned," Samuel called to a nearby knight. He saluted and ran to the castle.

Samuel dropped heavily to the ground, patting his horse's neck. He was worn out and just wanted to rest. William dismounted next to him and together they pulled Big Magnus from his horse. Big Magnus gave a small grunt but other than that remained quiet.

William beckoned to another knight, who raced over and stood straight. "We need a healer," William told the man.

"I'll find Brianne, sir," the knight responded.

Samuel scowled but did not attempt to stop William. A healer would take up more time. One glance at his oozing wound told him maybe he should be grateful.

They only stood for a few minutes until Tristan bounded through the castle doors, a smile on his face.

"Samuel," Tristan said, clasping his shoulder with one hand. "Praise God you are okay, I was beginning to wonder."

"I told you I would return," Samuel replied, offering a slight smile.

"And William! You left without any warning," Tristan scolded, although Samuel could see a smile threatening to break out behind his serious expression.

William looked sheepish and gave a shrug. "I did what I had to and I'm glad for it, otherwise the captain of the guard may not have been standing with us today."

Tristan raised an eyebrow, looking between them. His gaze finally landed on the blindfolded man behind them.

"Perhaps we should take this conversation to a private room," he finally announced. As they were about to leave, the knight who had looked for the healer returned.

"Your Highness! My lords, wait!" the knight called as he ran up to them. He bowed to Tristan before continuing, "Brianne will see you at the healer's cottage now."

Samuel held up his bandaged arm to Tristan, offering it as his only explanation.

"Take this man to the dungeon for now," Tristan told the knight, pointing at Big Magnus. "Make sure he does not escape." The knight bowed again and began tugging at Big Magnus, pulling him toward the castle.

"With your permission, I will help with the captive. I would feel better knowing he is locked away properly," William said. Tristan nodded and watched as William ran after Big Magnus.

"We can talk at Brianne's," Tristan continued. "I would trust her with my life. She will not share what she hears."

They reached Brianne's and knocked. The healer opened the door, appraising he guests. She curtseyed once and stepped aside, allowing them to enter.