Chapter Twenty-Eight

Caden was placed under a heavy guard and a healer attended to his wound, despite suspicious glances from all the surrounding knights. That same day, he began the journey back to the castle, his guards keeping a firm grasp on him.

Tristan's knights managed to find the cottage where Wilson and Suzanna had been staying. His return - or rather, help returning - caused quite the commotion. The village was alive with rumours, the servants in the duchy constantly whispering when they thought no one was watching.

When Wilson had been seen to by the healer, Samuel and the royal family were invited to see him. Tristan entered first, followed by Suzanna close behind him. Samuel trailed a few steps behind. Wilson was propped up comfortably on a bed, pillows and cushions seeming to surround him at every direction.

He nodded his head as deeply as he could, the best attempt at a bow that he could manage. His eyes seemed to be observing their reactions.

"I look a dreadful sight, I know," Wilson commented.

Suzanna was the least surprised out of all of them, having seen him just a few hours ago.

"Duke Wilson, how are you feeling?" Tristan asked formally.

"Weak and tired, but the healer said I will recover. I was lucky," Wilson responded, casting a glance at Suzanna. "Where is my brother?"

Tristan wasted no time explaining everything Wilson had missed. Suzanna and Samuel stood quietly for the most part, standing on opposite ends of the bed. She hoped Wilson had not formed any suspicions yet - she wanted to be able to explain it fully.

"Caden is on his way to the castle now. He will be kept in the dungeon until I have made my judgement," Tristan finished. Suzanna looked up, focusing on the conversation.

Wilson looked sad. "I wish it were not so."

"Even after he tried to kill you?" Samuel asked, addressing him for the first time.

Wilson gave him a tired smile. "Love goes a long way, do you not think? He will always be my brother. I wish bitterness and hatred had not poisoned him in the way it did."

"What happened between the two of you?" Tristan finally asked.

"How much do you know?"

"Adeline did not tell us much, only that-" Samuel began.

"Adeline?" Wilson interrupted, his expression shocked. "You have seen my sister?"

"She is alive," Suzanna grinned. "I should have told you the minute I found you."

Wilson's eyes filled with unshed tears. "How?"

"Caden sent her away to a place called Lorcheston in secret. She never tried to escape," Samuel explained. "My knight and I found her. She explained about the feud over the duchy."

"Where is she now?" Wilson asked, attempting to sit up more. "I have to see her."

"She is safe at the home for orphans and beggars back home," Suzanna told him. "We will have her escorted here the moment we return."

"My sister... alive," Wilson shook his head slowly. "It feels too good to be true. We were convinced she had been kidnapped or murdered. Caden never showed any signs that he had plotted something so evil." His face fell. "You asked what happened between us. Caden was born only a few minutes after me, but as the eldest son I was favoured by my peers and my father. I do not think Caden ever healed from the pain of rejection. I remember fighting when we were thirteen - he told me if I loved him at all I would try to help him gain more approval from my father."