Chapter Twenty-One

Everyone turned to stare at Suzanna, waiting for her response. Suzanna swallowed and anxiously thought for the best way to respond. Tristan, seeming to see that she was lost for ideas, stepped in to rescue her.

"Perhaps this is a conversation best left for the morning, when we are all wide-awake and able to make plans," Tristan suggested. "My sister is exhausted from a long day, she was just telling us." Not exactly the truth, but at that moment Suzanna could not bring herself to feel bad about the lie.

"I completely agree," her father said. Suzanna had never felt so grateful to have them speaking for her.

Caden obviously examined his position and reluctantly bowed his head.

"As you wish, my lords. Until tomorrow."

"In that case, shall I have a servant show you to your chambers?" Tristan offered.

"Unnecessary, your highness. I remember the way," Caden said with a grin that made Suzanna shiver. She was sure he was up to something - but there was no way she would try to follow him now. Not without Samuel with her.

"We will bid you a good night, then," her father said.

The tense politeness in the room was almost too heavy. Suzanna held back the urge to run from the room. Instead, she forced that fake smile back on to her face and curtseyed to Caden.

"Have a good night, Wilson," Suzanna spoke, enormously proud that her voice did not shake.

The group exchanged their awkward farewells before Caden finally left the room. Suzanna sucked in a deep breath as the doors closed behind him.

"Well, that could have been worse," Rose said optimistically. Her pure voice seemed to cut away at the tension as the family laughed. Tristan took his wife's hand, smiling at her fondly.

"How do you feel, Suzanna?" her father asked.

She held a hand up to her racing heart. "Only nervous. That was not comfortable."

"Surely you do not want to leave with him, Suzy?" Rose asked.

Suzanna shook her head, just barely creating the movement. "No," she answered, choked up. Tristan rested his free hand on her shoulder, in his comforting older-brother way. "I am afraid of his reaction if I were to turn him down."

"You need not be afraid. He is only a man," her father reminded.

Yes... a dangerous, murderous man. She should tell them the truth - even if Samuel had not yet returned. He would return soon enough, hopefully with Sarah, and that would only add to the evidence against Caden.

Yes, she would tell them. Tomorrow. Looking around at her family, she realised such a conversation would be best reserved for well-rested minds. They all needed sleep. Tomorrow they could decide what to do.

"I think it would be best if we discussed everything in the morning," she announced. "I need rest." Suzanna bid them all farewell, receiving hugs and comforting pats from everyone.

That night, she rested uneasily - tossing and turning until dawn began to wake the day. When she finally forced herself out of bed, she was not so sure she was any more alert than she had been the previous evening. Her head throbbed and her eyes seemed to burn, begging for sleep. She blinked a few times and went to her curtains, pulling them apart. The night was only just beginning to lift away. The sky was a dull colour - not quite black, and not quite blue. She pushed one window open, the air chilling her but making it easier to breathe.