Chapter 2 : Gang Problems

We arrived just in time before the reporters came

We arrived just in time before the reporters came. There were blood splatters all over the place.

"Carl, I want you take pictures of every nook and cranny in this place. Make sure you don't lose a thing."

"Yes, detective!" He replied. He took out his camera from his bag and started taking pictures of the place from every angle. He went through the shots a few times before finally leaving the scene. The situation was quite hectic, journalists interviewing the cops, and the least I needed were photographers asking permission for taking pictures on the scene. I escorted them out carefully and tucked my messy hair behind my ear as I returned to the crime scene.

The smell of the room was revolting, as much as I loved my job, visiting the crime scenes was the part I hated most. Clues didn't appear as it easy as it looked. Fingerprints were awfully hard to find in such crowd babbling inside the room. The lack of confidentiality made the job harder than I expected.

"So what did the culprit do?"

"See the blood splatters? I suspect they were from gun shots. But, we're still not sure. Each of the victim's family refused to have an autopsy."

"How is that possible? I'm sure at least one would agree."

"Well, at least that was what my subordinates told me. Besides, who would love tons of paperwork? An autopsy would only make things easier for you. Not for us."

"Then I suggest you quit your job! We're fighting for justice, not for gold!" I yelled as he continued to babble about his tiring paperwork.

No matter how many times I tried to convince myself to believe, the blood splatters didn't look like they were caused by a rifle. Instead, I particularly guessed they were caused by blade-cuts. Blood splatters caused by blade stabs have distinct patterns and usually the blood splatters form a line. The line is formed by the huge amount of blood that drips down due to the cut.

"Where's the CCTV recording?" I asked as I rubbed my forehead.

"Find it yourself, those goons have used a device to hide the data." He replied unconcernedly.

I left the old whack and went to my car, hustling through the rusty door handle in anger. I placed my hand on my chest, feeling my heart beat steadily as I tried calming down. Despite the fact that I had tried putting up my fatigue for the entire week, sleeping felt irresistable. My eyelids started wobbling, before finally closing as I entered darkness.

A brunette was standing on the rooftop. Wearing a black cat suit and holding a riffle. She was stealthily aiming for her targets. Her angle was predictable, but something was off. She unzipped her bag, and took a small box filled with needles. She filled her large sniper and aimed distantly. She suddenly ran down the stairs, leaving her loaded gun on the rooftop. She flicked her hair as she stuffed small blades into her boots. She walked calmly, blending in the crowd and stabbed her victims to death. The moment her victims started falling against the ground, the crowd grew wild. She blew a whistle and 3 of her mates planted some sort of device on the CCTV cameras around the crime scene. The alarm of ambulances marked the end of their quest

I woke up in a jolt, panting as I reached out for a glass of water. I was relieved after getting over the vision. Suddenly, glitches and fractions of images appeared on my mind, the ceremony my mother did to me before abandoning me.

"...A gift to see the past..."

My father's last words he said while he was drunk.

"Your powers will save you, you'll survive this kiddo."

I clenched my teeth in anger, shivering, and clasping my hands together. My phone's alarm rang. The alarm drew my attentions to an attached email sent by an unknown user.

"These were results of the bone examination, hmm...interesting."

There were three victims, two women and a man. One was a secretary, and the two others were factory workers.

I heard a slight knock on the window beside me.

"Detective Spencer, I presume that you would continue your investigation without taking a nap in this horrifying situation."

I crudely nodded and left my car. Outraged by the stupid cops' words, I slammed the door and snuck my phone into my pocket.

"What is it? Cat got your tongue?" He playfully said. He was still unaware of my annoyance.

I ignored him and headed back to the crime scene. My phone vibrated crazily on my waist. I picked it up and placed it on my right ear.

"Hello?"

"Guessing from your gloomy tone, a hard one, sis?"

"Yes, and I could definitely use your help." I hopped as a sudden thought came across my head.

"I'm there." She replied.

***

She waved at me and walked happily towards me whilst twisting her silky scarlet hair.

"The CCTV room is that way, and the lavatory is that way, you know what to do right?"

"You do know that I'm a high ranked scholar right? There's no need to tell me anything" She joked back. She walked hastily towards the lavatory, and came out wearing a cop's uniform. She winked at me and left for the CCTV room. Infiltrating or hacking into systems had been her hobby since she graduated.

In less than ten minutes, she came out handing me the file I needed. I grabbed it and quickly snuck the USB into my bag. I walked back towards my car and inserted the USB to my laptop. I opened the first image contained in the folder within.

"This. . .symbol. . ." I murmured as I continued scrolling down the page.

There were symbols carved into the victims' neck. Each of them had the exact same symbol carved, and perfectly adjusted on their neck. The symbols the Head Department showed me in his office earlier. I saw a file under the folder, I opened it and gasped. Each of the victims health check recorded that they had Hemophilia, which made it easier for those assassins to kill them. I quickly scribbled a few notes into a small piece of paper and snuck it into a drawer nearby. The last file was a voice note.

"Be. . . Tray. . . Her. . ."

I copied the entire folder and quickly sent them to my Head Department. So, all I had to do was wait for the warrant.

The police officer in charge was astounded seeing how I easily solved the case. He gave me a straight bow and thanked me. His entire crew gave me a round of applause for quickly solving the case.

On my way to the cafe, my phone fell to the ground. I was about to pick it up when someone knocked me out using an alien enchantment. My fist and my legs seemed to freeze up. I couldn't move any of my muscles in my body. I struggled for a while before realizing that everything was useless.

Better safe my strength for what's to come.

From the corner of my periphery vision, a mysterious stranger came closer to my ear and whispered "Hello, betrayer..."

So this is the magic-user, I thought.

Thick dark smokes surrounded him as I passed out. The smoke raveled his identity, leaving me clueless and weak. All I could remember after the incident was my name.

Lydia Spencer

                   - End of Chapter 2-