Chapter 19 : History

I woke up annoyed by the alarm sound. My hands stretched out to shut the shrilling sound. My fatigue had made me crave for more rest than ever, but by the time I realized that it was my first day on the corps, my wobbly feet finally found its way to stand. Groaning inwardly as I grabbed my hanging tower nearby, I recklessly twisted the bathroom's door knob. A loud thud surprised me as I jolted in surprise.

"AH! Lydia do you mind closing the door please!"

"Gosh, I'm so sorry!" I gasped as I quickly slammed the door back.

I whispered through the hole, "I'm sorry, but we've met in such an embarrassing moment and I still haven't heard your name."

"I'm Raid, nice to meet you Lydia. Do you mind closing your eyes as I walk out from this humid place?"

"Go ahead. I'm perfectly fine. Besides, I've been stuck twice in the palace dungeons along with men."

"Sorry for being rude, but do you mind me asking your academy's name?"

"Martian Weaponry Combat Academy."

"You're not bluffing, are you?"

"It's the truth. I left the boring palace halls when I was ten. I was forced to, so I tried finding my dad. Only to find out the fact that he sold me for a night in the brothel. I've been fighting as a gladiator until I was sixteen. After winning the festival a couple times, a scout offered me to join the Academy. I told him that I was homeless, and I had no family. He wasn't really convinced, but he trusted me. Despite the fact that he quickly found out my identity in three months, he never questioned me why I hid my family background. Interesting, huh?"

"Why? What's wrong with your family?"

"Well, except for the fact that my mom had always cared for my step-sister more, and other than my dad being incredibly strict and foolish for trusting my thick-faced mother, everything else was pretty much fine." I blurted out.

"Soldiers. Gather in the training ground in 10 minutes!" the announcer shouted.

"I'm sorry Raid, but I've got to take a shower immediately, let's save the chit-chat for tonight? Okay?"

"How rude of me, please do."

I quickly took a bath and wore my suit, buckling on my belt and weapons as I walked towards the training ground. I was too caught up in my suit that I accidentally bumped into someone.

"Watch where you are going, are you blind?" I yelled, brushing off the dirt sticking on my uniform.

"Well, nope. But you just broke rule number one newbie." The stranger coolly answered.

The way he had mocked me burned me in anger. The way he addressed me as made me felt some kind of insulted. I looked back to see the stranger's ignorant face.

Today, is really the worst day of my life.

"I'm so sorry." I timidly replied.

"Two more streaks and you're out of my squad."

I gulped heavily and nodded, leaving him as quickly as possible.

"This has happened many times to me. . .one streak isn't that big of a deal." Raid said as he walked past me.

"One streak is a big deal for someone like me."

"Why is that? Only royalties will probably get kicked out of squads, because they could just make their own by bribing the club chief."

"That's what I'm worried about. I never fitted the Royals. I was a gladiator, a slave."

"Was one, not is one! Come on, I'll help you keep your background save under the sheets."