Prologue

The early morning light shone brightly, the drapes were dancing off the wind. I stood there, staring blankly on the picture lying on top of my desk. Sparks ignited on my fingertips as my head shook wildly. Fear consumed me as I recalled the Witch's last ultimatum. The sparks suddenly flew and descended accross the room, leading into combustion.

"Hold it... you can do this..." I mumbled. I rose stiffly from my bed, grabbing my towel hanging nearby. I took a bucket of water in a hurry and flushed over the fire burning the elegant velvet carpet.

Panic arose as the fire started running towards the end of the carpet. I threw the empty bucket in anger and carefully moved my hands towards the scarlet flame. The fire instantly went through my fingers and dissapeared in an instant. A sudden knock startled me as I tried covering the burnt carpet.

"Your Highness, the Oracle is waiting for you across the hall," the tiny lady said as she walked into my chambers.

"Brigitte, please call Captain Rendevel into the throne room. I need to have a word with him."

"Of course, Your Highness."

***

"Are you sure you want to do this?" he asked in a depressing tone.

"For the sake of my comrades, I have to do this."

"I still don't understand why you want to die when Zara's about to ascend the throne."

"After she ascends the throne, she'll have assassins kill me and steal the key. It's not that different after all."

"She's your sister."

"I've never had one. My mother has never acknowledged me as one of her daughter. Being an outcast in the palace has tainted my pure childhood. It has turned me into a blood thirsty monster."

"Are you sure you don't want to try opening the Gate of Ashes?"

"You do know that urban legends are only for bed time stories, don't you?"

"Very well, the Oracle is waiting for you in the Memory Room. Goodbye, Lydia." The man said as he turned and gave me one last hug.

"Goodbye, Rendevel." I said as I carefully swept past him, heading straight for the door.

I walked calmly across the fancy halls. The cold air whispered around me as I entered the corridor. A series of maids bowed gently as I walked passed them. However, each of them were buzzing behind my back.

"―she's crazy. She thinks she is our hero, despite the fact that she's nothing but a scumbag."

"―holding the key has made her gone crazy, she acts as if everything is in danger."

"―announcing the apocalypse doesn't make her our hero." one of them added. The three of them suddenly stopped as a young man entered the room. His clothes suggested that he too was a noble. He marched towards me and swung his golden cane as he walked past the three maids.

"Well, well if it isn't the mighty princess?" I rolled my eyes as soon as those words were released from his mouth. "You do know that your father will kill you for treachery if you insist on holding the key?"

"So? What in the world made you care?" I shrugged, rolling my eyes as he continued babbling.

"I was just offering you a deal, hand over the key to Zara the rightful heir. I'll help you escape the King's wrath in return."

"Nothing will change, Zara cannot control the Pagos Winter Wind. She's too weak." I snapped.

"Well, can you?" he sternly asked. The maids around the room crowded around us, watching intensely for my upcoming response.