23

"he seems happier."
"he's taking his meds."
"i think he's out of the woods."

josh and jenna walk over to me. i wave hello. i am going home today, back to the apartment jenna and i share. since high school has ended we had decided to move to NYC. i took her there once and she loved the city. i loved the way her eyes lit up when she saw the skyscrapers at night.

she's so beautiful.

i had finally made the decision to enroll in classes at a graphic design college in the city, jenna making the same decision yet with some writing college courses. we wanted to make a book together.

my best friend, smelling of flannel and wood, looked me in the eye and smiled.
"you ready to go home tyler?" he asked, beaming.

i nodded before signing "i'm just as ready to kick your ass in Mario Kart as well."

josh burst out laughing.
"thats my tyler." jenna said smiling.

i signed out "i love you." to jenna,
she smiled and wiped away a stray tear, kissing my lips and helping me into a wheelchair.

"i love you too ty."

i signed out the words for "i'm hungry. may we get food?"

"i'm hungry too tyler." josh laughed.
we both turned to jenna.

"taco bell?" i signed out.

"oh alright, fine."

josh cheered and i pumped my fist into the air.

we walked into the taco chain some five minutes later. the line was long and there were many people.

sooner or later jenna, josh ,and i, reached the front of the line.
i was spacing out, thinking about i song i had written before my seizure.

"and what would you like sir?"

i snapped out of my haze to realize it was my turn to order. i would have to order quick seeing as there was a line of about thirty impatient, hungry people.

i had ordered fast food many times before my incident, so, out of reflex, i opened my mouth to talk. no sound came out. my cheeks turned red with embarrassment.

the man repeated his question, the line now growing more impatient, the feeling of hot tears welling up.

a fat lady behind us yells "hurry up already! what are you? a mute?!?"

josh becomes increasingly more angry, i want to tell him its okay, but i can only focus on my breathing techniques and balling my fists up over and over again.

jenna wipes my tears. i am hungry, i just want food.

the lady yells again "come on you mute!! talk!"
"SHUT UP!" josh yells at the lady.

everyone is silent. i nod to jenna telling her im ready.

i sign out the words for "one taco and a water please."

the whole store has a sense of shock to it. the lady does not look apologetic. some people gasp.

"one taco and a water please, he says."

"w-what kind of taco sir?"

i sign.

"he doesn't care."

"your total is $14.87."

i pull out a twenty.

"you know what? its fine, no charge. i insisit he takes the bill. he still refuses.

"no charge."

i nod and walk away with jenna, still crying. josh goes up to the woman.

"you're a filthy excuse for a human."

"that's what he gets for being a mute."

josh is so angry.

i turn to the woman, walking up next to josh, ready to defend him.

"what are you gonna do mute? yell at me?" the woman laughed.

josh was ready to punch her. i pulled him away. i couldn't talk but there was a certain finger i could put up that did the talking for me. i did so, and she laughed.

i fell back into jenna outstretched arms, still crying.

some NYPD officers were in the line, and the manager of the store came out. i walked to a table with josh and jenna. we sat in a booth and I curled up into a ball and cried.

i thought my days with the weeds of the world were over.

the officers and manager were yelling at the lady as well as many customers in line. a waitress brought us our food in bags, thinking we would've wanted to leave the store. she was right.

"i'm sorry. i know how hard it must be for you. i had a seizure once and lost my voice for half a year. i got it back though. i'm not sure if your situation is the same, but just know, things get better. i have to go back to work now, but enjoy your food." the waitress, whose nametag said Krista. She left almost as soon as she came.

We walked out of the store and back to Jenna's car

Could I really get better?