54

Tyler just sat there. For the next week he just sat. Watching. Jenna would come in every so often to make sure Tyler took his medicine and ate some food. Even in the shower, Tyler would have Jenna set up a FaceTime call so if something went wrong with Josh he would hear the noise through the phone. Tyler had never taken such quick showers before. He usually preferred to stay underneath the steady flow of the hot water as long as possible. It was different now. His eyes were embroidered by dark circles, he hadn't shaved in a week, and his hands never stopped shaking.

Jenna was out at the laundromat, doing some clothes when Tyler heard the heavy step of combat boots in the doorway. The jingling of chains and piercings confirmed who it was.

Molly, Josh's old crush, walked in the door. Her hair was a dark purple blue hue, and there was a loud pop as she blew a bubble with her gum.

"Get out. We all know you're here for his money." Tyler whispered. Tyler had been keeping the dreaded secret from Josh that the real reason Molly moved away was to escape being caught for dwindling down his bank account every month without the knowledge of Josh.

"We? Oh Tyler. You really are crazy." Molly laughed, her black lipstick never wavering from her lips.

Tyler just stared blankly at Blurry and Spooky standing in the corner, laughing demonically. They noticed Tyler's staring and eerily tilted their heads at him. They were like shadows. Always dark.

"Leave. Just go."

Molly ignored him as she lit up a cigarette.
"Want one?" She offered.

"This is a hospital."
"Your point?"
"Just go."

Molly shrugged and turned to leave.

"Bye Tyler. Tell Josh he can die for all I care." Molly stated, grabbing Tyler's shoulder. Her sharp red nails dug into his arm. He winced at the piercing pain. Molly took a drag of the cigarette and turned back to him.

"Oh and Tyler."
The broken boy turns.

"Tell the voices I say hello." She laughed, blowing a stream of smoke in his face.

Tyler coughed and sputtered. He sat in the chair. He wasn't all too sure if the tears running down his face were from the smoke or the fact his best friend was dying.

"Stay alive." Tyler whispered, grabbing Josh's hand.

But the soft and slow beep of the heart monitor seemed more of a ticking clock now than a reminder that he was alive.