iii.

CHAPTER THREE

Lynx silently watches as all the tamers around her start to get ready. The tamers' quest has always been a tradition for the past one thousand years.

The gateways to the spiritual realms open every six months. During that time, several descendants would go to the Earth realm to feed on human souls. Back then, humans have no ways to counter and that is how they started the training facilities. Through several types of research and experiments, they discovered that taming the stellar spirits is one way to prevent them from harming more humans thus the tamers' quest happened.

"Make sure that you all stay within the assigned area. We're expecting at least ten gateways to open in our area alone." Baekhyun says.

"That's a lot," Lynx mutters as she finishes lacing her boots. "I guess it'll be a bloody night."

"Think you can handle it?" Kyungsoo asks as he sharpens his knife. "You're not just defending the district tonight."

"It'll be just like every other tamers' quest." Lynx replies confidently.

"Technically this is kind of your first tamers' quest since you're not officially a tamer yet." Irene joins in. "Master Minseok has high expectations."

"I told him not to expect much," Lynx says. "He says I'm tough and strong but honestly... I'm scared."

Everyone eyes her curiously. "You're scared?" Jeonghan asks. They found it weird since it's the first time Lynx has ever said that she's 'scared'.

Lynx chuckles. "Weird huh? But you all know how I hate changes. That's probably why I've always made excuses to avoid becoming a tamer."

"Taming a descendant has its perks," Baekhyun says. "Trust me, I have two."

"Why do you have two anyways? And both are Andromeda's descendants too." Kyungsoo asks.

"Taeyeon said she's lonely so I got her a friend," Baekhyun shrugs. "Turns out Tiffany was purposely looking for her so when we met, she's the one who personally asked me to tame her. The two of them have been best friends for so long." he chuckles at the memory.

"That's actually cute," Irene says. "They must be really close."

"Very," Baekhyun nods. "I'm the third wheel when I'm with them."

"Did you get along quickly? Because Jongin had such a big ego before, it took a few days before he started obeying Kyungsoo. Mingyu is very playful while Krystal is just... it's like I'm the descendant and she's the tamer." Jeonghan scratches his head.

"Taeyeon follows orders quickly but she wasn't happy at all, but it all changed ever since I got Tiffany." Baekhyun explains.

"I wonder how my descendant would be like." Lynx wonders.

"One thing for sure is that you're going to be one heck of an awesome tamer." Baekhyun grins.

For once, Lynx thinks that taming a descendant wouldn't be so bad.

***

"Shit, I didn't think they would be this many." Baekhyun laughs upon hearing Lynx complain.

"Behind you." Baekhyun points.

Lynx turns just in time to cut a C Class descendant in half. They've been in battle for over two hours and they're already tired because there are too many descendants for them despite having another team member for them.

"You know it'll be a lot easier if you join us in fighting." Tiffany says as she and Taeyeon fight off some other descendants that were targeting Baekhyun.