Chapter 9

A/N: it's been awhile but now it's Christmas so I might write more :) this is going to be a lot of talking. I tried to space it out and make it cute.

• you make it look like it's magic, cause I see nobody- nobody but you... •

I pull on a plain [F/C] jumper and some skinny jeans. I just have time to pull my hair into a bun before Bucky is knocking on the door.
"Coming" I shout. I stumble of the bed and try to put on some shoes as I go towards the door.
When I open the door I find a nervous Bucky. He's bouncing on the balls of his feet and looking around.
"'Kay lets go, doll" he says gently grabbing my arm and pulling me out the tower, through the busy streets and into a quiet little diner.
The sign says "50's dinner". The seats are red and white stripes and all the waitresses have big hair and red lips.
"Wow" I smile, in the corner of my eye I notice Bucky watching me. But before I can say anything i'm pulled inside. Theres classic 50's music and a small jukebox in every booth.
"Bucky welcome back" a waitress says "want your usual?"
"Yeah please but make it 2"
"Okay" she smiles and Bucky guides me to a booth.
"A regular huh?" I giggle.
"Yeah. This place has the best breakfast. And I always sit in this booth because it's got the best view" he gestures out the window. He wasn't wrong. There's skyscrapers and bust cars. You could sit here all day and notice all the ever changing small details. "And the jukebox here always plays its songs first. No matter what's in the queue"
"Buck!" I laugh.
"Wanna try?"
We decide we want the legend that is Elvis. After a few little arguments we compromise at "can't help falling in love"
Our food arrives and it looks amazing. It's a full English breakfast, but 50's style. (A full English is sausages, bacon, black pudding, hash browns, beans, tomatoes, toast/fried bread, mushrooms, egg.) Everything seemed to be deep fried in oil and it tasted amazing. Sometimes when I took a bite I'd let a small noise slip and Bucky giggled. Occasionally adding "it's nice isn't it, doll". And I'd just hum as a reply, unable to open my mouth because there was so much good food. I felt a lot better from this morning already.
When we were done Bucky cleared his throat.
"So you're going on a mission soon" he said calmly.
"Yeah. Yeah i'm excited to prove myself to the team and help out"
"You know it's dangerous"
"No one did it was gonna be easy, buck" I giggled. He shook his head and sighed.
"Stay safe for me" he said looking into my eyes, "please."
"Okay"
"Promise?"
"Bucky" I laughed.
"Promise you won't be stupid" he laughed back.
"I promise"
Then he changed the topic to something a little lighter.
He told me stories about him and Steve as a kid, like how Steve used to put newspapers in his shoes so he was tall like Bucky.
And he said he wanted to get to know me. He asked what my favourite colour was, I obviously said [F/C] because [reason].
When I asked him he said:
"Black and red are amongst my favourite colours. But there are so many. So beautiful colours that no one could ever replicate" and he explained how no matter how hard we try we will never have the colours that nature gives us, and they're the best colours.
Then he got up and paid the waitress quickly and lead me outside.
"I'll prove it" he said.
He took me past all the loud cars and the busy people and the chirping birds. Until we ended up in a small park.
Bucky pointed out every colour and every minor detail I had never noticed.
Like no two flowers are exactly same, but they are equally as beautiful.
Then I sat down on a lone bench to take in the view. You could see the green hills and the wildlife it held, but at the same time you could see the city and all it's classic and modern architecture.
I smiled, taking it all in. It had been so long since I just sat and appreciated the world- rather than destroying it. And that's when my smile faded a little.
"Hey- hey what's up" Bucky said putting a hand under my chin and making me look him in the eye.
"Nothing buck, it's fine" I said making sure my smile was wide and my eyes didn't become glossy. Then he sat down next to me, his hand still gently holding my head. "The view is beautiful Bucky thanks for showing me" I said turning my head away from him and diverting my eyes back to the nature. His hand fell from my face but it gently landed on my leg.
"The view is nothing compared to this one" he said smiling. I turned my head and held eye contact. Then he moved his head up and down.
"Me?"
"You're gorgeous [Y/N], the most beautiful person I've ever met. And this can't come close to what I see when I look at you" I watched his eyes move across my face, like they're were taking in every detail.
"Bucky-" I wined extending the y. I didn't know what to say, it's been a long time since anyone has ever said anything so nice and sweet to me.
"[Y/N] ever since you walked through the door I've thought that you were amazing. I really care about you. Over the past week or so, as terrible and as rushed as it sounds, the feelings are just getting stronger. I hate seeing you in pain it breaks me. That's why I made you promise" he says never breaking eye contact.
"You've done more for me then you will ever know Bucky. Thank you for that"
"I want to be here to protect you"
"I'd like that" I said quietly and I smiled.
Then his breath hitched and I could tell he was trying to remain calm.
"[Y/N] will you be mine?"

• i'm so used to being used •

• volume 14 •