Chapter 29

A/N: hey hey. Hope you've had a good day! Idk what that was... I made up the stuff the team need it's kinda weird sorry :/ Tony's is sweet tho.

• I'm talking every word for all the boys •

"Where's Nat?" I repeated, louder this time.
"She got stuck in the lorry. We wanted to go back but Ultron was on our tail. It was the whole team going down or just Nat. She was the one who told us to go with the package and specifically- you" Steve replied finally. I swear I stopped breathing for a second. Natasha had been a good friend since I came here, someone to confide in.
I can't believe I left her.
"I'm going back" I demanded.
"No!" The boys screamed at me. Hawkeye sped up and Tony began walking towards me.
"What is that thing?" I screamed. "What is it more important than my friend?!"
"This is what Ultron wanted all along. This here would have been the key to world domination" Tony said quickly.
"Of we can figure out what this is we can stop him [Y/N], you must understand that. This could save the world. When you come onto this team you need to remember we're the earths last Defense against these types of people. If we fail. They die. Simple. So sometimes we must make sacrifices" Steve added, softly.
"So we've sacrificed her!" I almost cried out.
"No no. Of corse not. It's highly unlikely she will die or even get badly hurt. To him she's valuable. No smart person would lay a wrong finger on her. All he will do is keep her close. So [Y/N] we've got to get closer. That's all" Tony stated.
"Well if you're sure-"
"We are" Clint interrupted.
"Fine. But we get her back as soon as possible"
"Of corse she's part of the team. She's like family" Steve patted me on the back. "To all of us"
"Well that thing better be worth it" I said dryly as I slowly walked towards the corner and the crumpled earphones sat on the floor. I lifted a finger and brought them towards me, and when they met my hands I fiddled with them. Debating whether or not to use them.
"It will be. Me and Bruce will do a lot of tests and we'll know exactly what he wanted!" Tony said whilst pressing buttons and examining it even more.
"Okay" I muttered.
I didn't notice a figure come up behind me. I just continued to stare at my past life line. Wondering if it still works.
"We won't judge you if you use them [Y/N]" Steve said softly.
"I- what- how did you know?" I stammered.
"I don't need to be a telepath to understand people" he said chuckling slightly. "The people on this team, they- they admire you. You have a gift. Someone abused that gift but you broke free and that is amazing. You offer to help all the time. You do whatever you can wherever you can. Even after everything that's happened recently. You're still going. And that makes you as strong as everyone here. Tony sometimes sleeps with a teddy his mother gave him as a kid to make him feel happy when his father was gone, he won't tell us, but he misses his mother dearly. Hawkeye often sneaks out the tower to see his girl. He's not meant to leave for too long in case something happens but we let him, he likes to buy her flowers. He's scared one day he'll find her with someone else. But she's the only thing that calms him. I sometimes get nightmares, about the war, about a girl I used to know, and the only thing that will calm me down is candles. I never understood why. They're so calming. Watching the flame dance and the sweet smell released from them. They know my name at the local shop. How weird is that?" He laughed. "We all have something we need [Y/N]. I think we both know right now a little music is what you need. And that's okay" I smiled at him, slipped one earphone in, and played a song I remember well. Steve returned the sound but I tapped on his shoulder and floated the reaming earphone to him. This made him chuckle again as he plucked it out the air and put it in his ear.

• glamorous indie rock and roll is what I want, it's in my soul it's what I need •

"By the way. I like candles too" I whispered. As we sat down beside each other and listened to the music. After a long comfortable silence Steve spoke up. "I'm sorry about Bucky"
"Did you hear?" I asked, ashamed.
"It was difficult not too. Me and Nat was about to barge in. Tell him how stupid he was being. I know that sounds bad but- anyway I said we shouldn't intervene. I'm Sorry"
"It couldn't be helped. I guess sometimes it just doesn't work" I said with a weak smile plastered on my face.
"But you two? We all really thought it would work. And who's to say that it won't?" Steve said softly.
I chose not to answer as we landed the plane and Bruce instantly ran on. He and Tony took the package to the lab. Hawkeye gave me a 2 finger salute smiling. Then he hopped off and walked to the kitchen. Steve removed the earphone, stood up, then stretched his hand to me so I could get up. I thanked him and began walking to my room. But as soon as I entered the Building I was met with a tired looking Bucky.
"Doll-" he dragged out.
"What did I tell you about that" I spat back, harsher then I expected.
"I just need-" he shouted.
"No"
"Can we talk, in my room?" He said quieter this time.
"What's the matter buck. Don't you want people to hear" I said chocking on my words, as I felt the tears prick my eyes. "They already know"

• oh don't be shy, let's cause a scene, like lovers do on silver scenes •

Steve scurried away quickly without making eye contact and he pushed the nosy Clint around the corner with him.
"I just wanted to say- of corse I loved you! I loved you more then I've ever loved anyone. I'm just scared. I mean- what if I hurt you?! I'm dangerous too. I can flick like a switch. That means i'm scared to get close to you. I want, no I need you to be safe and happy. What if you wanted kids? I'd be terrified to hold them in my bloody hands. I'd be terrified some bad men from my past would get to them, would get to you" he said, tears freely falling from his eyes now. "You and me- we. We deserve to be happy. After everything... I'm the happiest when i'm with you. If you would let me- we could try again. Maybe... well slowly if that's what you want. Or we could at lease settle this... of corse I want to be yours. I really do. But if you don't want it, i'm happy just being civil. So long as you're okay. What do you say?"
My arms dropped to my sides and swayed freely. I swear I could feel sweat forming on my forehead. My hands suddenly got clammy and my throat end tight. The man just poured out his heart and soul to me. And I couldn't reply. I knew I had to try.

But all I could say was...

• volume ~ 11 •