The Good and Bad (Garry; Ib)

C  O  M  E   P  L  A  Y   W  I  T  H   M  E

My eyes scanned the painted words over and over again, my feet planted firmly on the floor of a deserted hallway. I held the (color) rose closer to my chest and hastily continued on with my search of escape.

I've already come across headless mannequins chasing after me; paintings of ladies crawling with their torsos and hands out to get me; and a statue of a head just to get a wooden fish body. I can still imagine the glimmering red eye staring at me with malicious intent to this very hour.

I will not put up with painted words after the last one branded me a thief. Never again.

My ears strained to hear the slightest movement, a creak, a squeak- anything. The narrow corridor gave me more reason to be paranoid of a statue or a painting following me. All I could hear were my ragged breaths and I saw no sign of Guertena's horrific works.

This unsettled me; how all this seems too easy. There has to be a catch.

The moment I thought of that, it seems I was right. At the end of the hall is a stretch of canvas; a painting of a house on top of a hill with stars scattered all over the night sky. A lone woman stood there, her back facing me to reveal cascading brown curls and a white dress.

My heart raced at the foreboding presence of the painting, but, out of curiosity, I approached it within a ten-foot radius. It looked harmless, nothing unusual. Maybe it was just another one of the immobile paintings in-

"OH MY GOD!" I screeched at the sight of the woman's grotesque face turning to me. A menacing grin showing sharp rows of jagged teeth and wide, bulging eyes greeted me, but that wasn't what made me scream.

It was the scarred tissues of half of her face.

The clump of decaying flesh tempted me to retch right then and there on the floor. She would've been beautiful without it, a mesmerizing beauty, but the expression on her face told me otherwise. I took a quick glance at the name of the painting:

Fading Beauty 

Repetitive, loud stamping sounds made me jump and look at the wall.

D  O  N  '  T    B  E    S  C  A  R  E  D  ,   L  E  T  '  S    P  L  A  Y    T  A  G

Another round of stamping noises as more letters appeared. My eyes deliberately widened at the words and I scurried off to desperately find a door.

I  '  M    I  T

I heard a thud and the pounding of feet on the floor accompanied with a tinkling, eerie giggle. I choked, holding back a sob that was threatening to escape my throat, as I heard the pounding footsteps grow louder and louder.

"A door, a door, a door- Where can I find a door?!" I hysterically screamed, my legs slowly turning into lead the more I run. The hall seemed to stretch endlessly into the void and there was still no door in sight. My chest ached; the sob in my throat died out; my breathing was reduced to a wheeze; and my vision blurred as black spots started to fade in and out of it.

I was on the verge of tripping and falling on my knees when a door materialized on the wall a few feet away from me. An arm caught me before I could process what happened and I was immediately pulled inside.

The door slammed shut and melted back into the wall, leaving no traces of the existence of the door. A terrifying howl echoed from the other side along with the sound of footsteps fading, as if the scarred woman gave up and retreated back to her own painting for her next victim.