Explosive Yearning (Green; Pokemon)

Hoooo boy. It's been two years since I updated and I can't even remember the last time I actually wrote something for this again. I had huge writer's block and I'm so sorry for that. I've lost inspiration to write anything and my mind was blank the whole time. I went through some things and I got out of that hole with the help of a few friends.

I'm sorry for the unannounced hiatus and I can't promise that I'll be frequently updating. I was in the mood to write something a bit angsty and dramatic (if this is considered angsty but I'll go with it) so this was born. I'm in the middle of a small obsession with Pokemon and Green popped up when this idea came to me. I'm going to use his official Japanese name in the games, so please don't confuse him with Leaf haha.

I apologize if he's out of character here. I've done my best to make his personality based on the Pokemon Adventures manga and his expressive reactions in Pokemon Sun and Moon in the Battle Tree.

Enough about this and let's get this story started.

Warning: mild cussing

**

"It's all right, girl—I won't hurt you."

Rapidash took a step back with a grunt, eyes trained on the insistent girl. She patiently smiled and stretched her hand out as far as she could, the Oran berry glinting under the sun. (Name)'s eyes swept down to the red swelling on the Pokemon's ankle, which made her more determined to befriend her.

"It's okay," she cooed. (Name) lifted a cautious hand, slowly inching towards Rapidash's flaming mane. Her fingers could feel its blazing heat, making her hesitate before reaching for her neck instead. Rapidash didn't make a move nor did she utter a sound. She just stared at the trainer with wary eyes until she gave in and munched on the Oran berry.

(Name) sighed and stroked her neck with gentle fingers. "Good girl." Rapidash gave a soft snort as (Name) began taking out bandages and ointment from her bag on the ground. She let Rapidash finish the berry then worked on her swollen ankle. She was out on a stroll when she first noticed Rapidash as a blur of fiery orange between the thick expanse of trees in Santalune Forest. The Pokemon had sprained herself from hitting a stray root while galloping away from a Haunter, which (Name) chased away with her own Umbreon. She had no idea how a Rapidash reached the forest, but she didn't question it once she noticed the injured ankle.

The fire type Pokemon watched her slather ointment carefully on the swelling and wrapped her ankle with bandages. After tucking in the bandages, (Name) stood up and beamed at her handiwork, then she caressed Rapidash's cheek. Rapidash nuzzled herself further in (Name)'s hand as she closed her eyes in content.

"I'm glad I found you." Rapidash neighed again before she retracted her head and held herself straight. Her fierce red eyes bore into (Name)'s with the ghost of a smile on her face. Well, if a Rapidash could smile that is.

The small clearing was bathed in the orange glow of the sunset, spilling through the canopy of trees scattered over the forest. Tufts of grass brushed the soles of her shoes and swayed in the wind as a flock of Pidgeys flew overhead, flying northward. Rapidash's flames glowed brighter than before and gave off more light, producing silhouettes of the Pokemon and the trainer before her. "Rapi-dash!" She neighed, her flames crackling and sparking in the air. (Name) giggled and continued petting the mild Pokemon.

"I could say the same about you."

That voice.

(Name)'s heart dropped to her stomach; her throat felt as if a hand was squeezing it and she sharply inhaled. It brought back so much pain, so many memories she wanted to forget, the hope that died within her years prior today. Rapidash gave her a quizzical look when the girl stood immobile, her face pale and hands sweaty. (Name) could hear the shuffle of footfalls and a sigh echo in her ears, a tinge of annoyance in the intake of breath.