Different (Weiss Guertena; Ib)

Okaaaay, so I got interested in writing something for Guertena. He wasn't canonically seen, so I'm going to avoid describing his "features" and simply keep this one-shot in the third person point of view.

The idea came to me when I interacted with the bookshelf in the rope maze in the violet area. I'm only going to use guesswork and the info I got from the game to write all this and somehow pull it off. I hope you enjoy this :3

--

Vanity, wealth, power: those are the things Weiss Guertena despise the most.

All he ever wanted was freedom; to immerse himself in the wonders of art and to turn the images in his mind into reality. The stroke of colors; the swipe of a brush; a wooden palette full of colors; and the sight of a canvas set on an easel were all he ever wished for in life.

Not this life filled with grandeur that will leave you dull and empty in mere moments.

He was different from the nobles in his time. Many of them seem to value money like deities, and women like playthings. Manners were a must; wealth is everything in society; power was something necessary to be considered an elite; these are the things taught to him, but he never considered these as such.

He was not, by any means, the type to be pegged by a woman. Actually, he disliked the various women who tried to woo him for his inheritance. The greed in their eyes were sorely visible that Guertena ignored all of them and kept his doors closed for the likes of them, who were always entertained by his family servants and passing on gifts to him.

So why, why is it that a woman captivated him so much?

Weiss, with a book in hand, glanced at the woman gazing at his creations. He did not understand the reason why he let a woman of his father's choosing be invited to his, as he calls it, sacred room of art. The room is his one and only haven from the outside world, the thing he despised with all of his heart and poured all of it in his work.

His numerous paintings, most framed with gold, are hung on the walls that they covered most of them. His statues and other works are haphazardly placed around, accompanying the shelves containing his books of drawings and of interest. In the middle of it all is a red, velvet sofa with elaborate, gold framing where he is currently sitting on to read.

He turned a page with his pallid finger and kept sneaking glances at her, who seems to be pondering over a piece he recently made. It was a painting of the upper half of a brunette lady wearing a red dress, its sleeves long and the shoulders puffed.

"Pardon me," Weiss nearly flinched at the soft voice echoing in the room. He looked up from his book, although his eyes were already on her, and raised an eyebrow as a gesture for her to continue.

"But it seems that her eyes are not..." She trailed off, tracing a slender finger on the frame with a small frown on her face. In a moment, she found the word to describe them, "Sincere."

Ah, she noticed, he thought as he closed his book and stood up. With a graceful stride he had grown accustomed to, he went beside her and chanced a look at the painting before replying, "You are correct in saying so, miss..."

He stopped himself, for he realizes how foolish he was to address a woman without asking for her name. The unnamed maiden realized his mistake and let a small smile slip on her features.

"My name would be _____," she told him in a polite tone, careful not to tread on his pride as a gentleman. "I apologize for not introducing myself when we have already seen each other at first glance."

"It is I who should apologize. It was rude of me not to ask first," his gaze roamed back to her, still regarding the painting with an awed glimmer in her eyes. She was the first to see the smallest detail in one of his creations; something that not even his parents have done.