chapter 12

Grey and I were sitting in the open carriage, on our way into town, we were going down the dirt road. The green expanse of land was beautiful. The tree line, receded from the open hills. And started once the mountain began.

I turned around, knees on the seat, I pressed my face to the sky, letting the sun kiss my eyelashes.

"What are you doing?" Asked Grey from his spot, body slightly turned toward me.

"Absorbing this time, because we shouldn't be here. And it's a beautiful day," I smiled down at him from my perch.

"You should get down," he said worriedly  "you're supposed to be acting like a lady. You could also get hurt."

I sank back down to the seat "why aren't you being protective," I said smirking. His face reddened and he turned away. I smiled at this battle won.

"How are we going to get back?" I asked suddenly serious, looking toward the scenery on my side of the carriage.
"I don't know," he said toward his direction "that poses a problem."

"I'm scared," I said looking at him "this is fun and all, but I just feel like something is wrong. I just feel like someone is watching us."

"I feel the same feeling too," Grey said looking at me "it's very strange."

I took another scan at the horizon, catching a glimpse at a dark and ominous manor on the mountain , surrounded by trees. It looked like a scene out of a book, that described an evil man's hideaway.
"Look at that house," I said to Grey pointing. He turned his head, and too saw the building.

"That building is so strange, to me it feels sort of like Dracula's castle, but it isn't a castle," he whispered to me "I have a bad feeling about that place, promise me we never set foot there."

"You don't have to ask me twice," I said sneaking a last look at the manor, before turning my gaze back to the road ahead.
"This is all so strange, I can't believe we are in 1810! Just think in our time all these people will have been dead for almost 200 years," I said quietly making sure the driver did not hear.

"I agree."

I let my hand fall off my lap onto the seat beside me, and continued to take in the scenery.
I felt warmth blanket my hand, and I looked up to Grey giving me a sad smile.
"After we dress shop I suppose we should start figuring out ways to get home."
I squeezed his hand back, and mouthed 'thank you' with a sad smile on my face as well.

He removed his hand from mine after a few moments, and I found myself missing his warmth.

' What are you thinking!' I scolded my self internally 'you don't have feelings for your best friend, your attachment goes to Lucas, get yourself together!'
I still smiled to myself, and a blush rose on my cheeks.

A solemn air returned, when I thought about home, and our ability to get back.
I let the silence drain on for many minutes, until a thought escaped my lips:
"Do you think we will ever make it back to our time?" I asked still somewhat in thoughts.
"Why would you say such a thing?"

"Grey do we...really want to leave this? I mean what do we have to go back to?" I mumbled.
"This isn't us Hazel. The hats the dresses the prim and proper."
I turned to face away "you mean it isn't you... This is the first time in a long time that we don't have to deal with grades, or the orphanage... it's much simpler, much more to my liking..."

Grey pretended not to hear me, but instead said: "do you hear that buzzing?"
"It was probably just a fly," I said shrugging it off.

The tension between us was uncomfortable, so I climbed back up onto my knees and looked back once more.

I noticed his frown and didn't speak anymore.
The road was bumpy and I kept nearly falling. With the town in sight behind us, we were almost there. The bumps became more intense, and we hit a bump so hard I was flung onto Greyson's lap. With a awkward laugh I blushed and scotched back into my spot.

I knew I should have listened to him. Grey smiled at my awkwardness and winced. "Grey what's wrong?" I asked slightly concerned. "Nothing there's just this buzzing."

He yelped out in pain "it feels like something is squeezing my brains to pulp!" He closed his eyes tight to deal with the pain.
"Grey!" I said panicked "driver! Please stop something is wrong!"
Grey just shook his head and didn't answer. "Is it because of the time jump?!" I whispered. He shook his head. "Why aren't you affected?" He forced the words out. Each word indivual and painful.
I shook my head helplessly to answer his question, and watched in horror as he started to go limp. I put a hand around his head and felt like crying.
"Oh Grey!" I cried at his limp figure strewn across my lap.

As I stroked his hair she felt a small bump. "What?" I mumbled pulling the small device off. Grey gasped for air and sat up abruptly.
"What happened?!" He said rubbing his head which was still throbbing terribly. I held the small device in my hand.
"This isn't from this time period. Someone wants to test us or watch us or something," I whispered. Grey sighed closing his eyes remembering the pain. "Or kill us," he mumbled. I stared at the small device and bit my lip "or kill us," I echoed.

"Driver, oh, what it your name?" I asked him, putting on my act once more.
"Dean Swently miss, is he alright?" Dean asked concerned.

"Mr. Swently a bug of some sorts has attacked my poor friend's head, do you have a handkerchief I could keep it in, for I have never seen a thing like this in my life and may have a friend to analyze it." He dug out a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to me. I put the little bug like machine in it, and closed more fabric around it. I then placed it on the ground or the carriage and procedures to step on it.

"I believe it is dead now, I'm so sorry for making you stop, please drive on," the driver tipped his hat.
"Hi-ya," he said, and a snapping noise sounded, followed with a lurching of the carriage into motion.

I opened the handkerchief gingerly, inside was a little metal bug-like thing, that had been crushed. It was made of metal, and had little blue wires inside. Grey took it, and had a look as well, he then folded it back over, and placed it in his breast pocket.

I looked at him, a look screaming ' what are we going to do?'
He looked back at me with the same expression.
"Maybe our dress shopping will take our minds off this little incident,"I suggested hooking my arm through his. A wave of safe washed over me, when I hooked my arm in his, and I knew we were both blushing.

"Were you crying?" Greyson asked, looking more closely at my face.
"What!? No!" I said wiping off the few stray tears that had fallen.
He chuckled, then winced "that still hurts, I have a headache now."
"Well you're going to have an even bigger headache after shopping."

"Don't remind me."