chapter 20

~The Account of Hazel~

The tension was horrendous. I kept a fake smile and hoped that the night would go smoothly. I was so nervous I would slip up, and reveal my mistrust of Lucas, and the uncomfortable nature I had grown to feel around him.

We took a seat, and I finally had a chance to scan the crowd.
All the ladies taking seats, had bold colored dresses of blue, green and pink. I noticed however, I was the only one wearing orange.

Great, now being under the radar was going to be even harder.

A few girls probably a bit younger than I, looked up to our box, and looked at us. Their eyes caught Grey and they giggled and turned red, when he turned and tipped his top hat.

I snorted a bit, now he would understand.

The oil lamps were dimmed and the music began. The chandelier stayed illuminated, and a spot light shone on the stage.
I looked up in the rafters for where it was coming from. I found a man with a controlled flame, and a reflective board, that was directed.

The music intensified, and a performer made a way to the spotlight. With a big breath the performer belted a note that I was surprised any human could reach. The hairs on my arms stood on end and chills costed across my skin.
This was amazing.

Soon all my thoughts of Lucas, and the people around me faded away, my focus on the singer's, and the play that was in Italian, that I didn't quite understand.
It was beautiful nevertheless.
The opera had my emotions in a frenzy, one moment I was laughing, the next holding back tears.

My dear reader, I regret to inform you that because I was distracted by the opera, I failed to see the dark figure in the rafters watching Grey and I. A mistake that was very dangerous indeed.

As I applauded with the rest of the audience, I looked up to the rafters, noticing the light man was no longer directing the reflective surface.

Strange.

But I paid it no more thought.
Another mistake that I didn't realize it was until the most unfortunate happened.

"That was amazing, I daresay my emotions have been thoroughly manipulated by that masterpiece. The music was magnificent and the singing gave my chills," I smiled "I'm so thankful we were able to attend!"

My genuine smile and twinkle of my eyes remained until I was introduced.

To my grandmother.

Well, she wasn't my grandmother, but it was the woman that had an exact likeness.

"Mrs. Turnage," said Ben with a smile.

I turned, and some colour drained from my face. It was the woman from earlier in the wheelchair, that brought back what we had left.
She was wheeled over to us by her maid.

"Madam," I said bowing my head, and curtsing deeply.

"Benjamin, where have you found this dear child with such manners, she bows like I'm the queen," she barked.

He smiled "my brother and I have taken her and her friend in. They were robbed just five miles from our manor, and until we receive word from her Aunt they are to stay with us."

"Where did you say you were from," she directed to me.

"From France ma'am, my father was a scientist, and moved my family to France for his research. Unfortunately he has passed, and my only family is my Aunt," was my reply.

She made a noise as if she was in thought.

"You know French are not welcome easily in this country, because of all the unrest with France," she said bluntly.

"Yes ma'am, I however am not French, so I do hope you will receive me well," I said shyly.

"You seem to be well mannered, I think I shall receive you well, but in order for me to decide I think you shall come to my humble abode for tea, and we shall discuss more then."
She tapped on the chair, and the maid wheeled her away briskly.

I smiled to myself, I liked her quite a bit, thought she seemed stern and cross.

"So what did you think of her?" Asked Ben.

"Though she may not fancy me much, I believe I like her very much. She reminds me of my grandmother," I said smiling, the smile turning a bit sad.
"I believe she did in fact fancy you, she did invite you to tea."

I smiled even harder.

This was nice.

I had to let Grey know however, because he would most likely be left alone.

Ben and I made our way to where Grey and Lucas were talking with men that had tall hats.

"Ah, yes Miss Matthews, come meet Mr Adams and Mr Thorpe. This is Miss Hazel Matthews, the one who is residing at my manor, with Mr James," he introduced.

"Gentlemen," I said curtsing.

"They work at this fine town's bank, I trust them with everything," he said smiling towards the white haired men.
"My dear, what a pleasure to meet you," said Mr Adams, kissing my gloved knuckles.

Light chatter continued for a few more minutes, then I was introduced to a few ladies.
The first, Mary, was sweet and I longed to be friends with her. The second, Samantha, was just as nice. However, the third. Elizabeth, was horrible. She was absolutely rude, and I could not tell why not, I hadn't even met her before. She was snarky and only snipped out shirt sentences when I tried to converse with her.

After Elizabeth, I was exhausted, thankful when our party decided to head back home for a good night's rest.

I was stripped out of my elegant gown, and it was put away for safe keeping, and then the corset came off.

With a grateful sign I pulled on a night gown, my guts finally free from the torture.
I took the pins and flowers out of my hair and let the curls cascade onto my shoulders.
The spirals were soft, and I ran my fingers through my hair, loosening the right curls.

After that, I slipped into the covers and fell fast asleep.

It felt like I had only been asleep for five minutes when Grey shook me awake.

"Ew, go away I want to sleep," I moaned shoving my face into my pillow, hoping he would go away.

"Hazel, I can't sleep. Something feels- wrong," he said, grabbing my attention through the tired and sleepy haze I was in.

"What do you mean?" I asked, rolling back over, to look at the silhouette of Grey, illuminated by bright moonlight pouring in the windows.
He sat on the edge of the bed, a grim look on his face.

"I mean, I feel like we are being watched. Something is following us. Something just doesn't feel right, Lucas doesn't feel right," he said softly.

"I agree," I said "I have a bad feeling about this. We can't let anyone know though... but I would like to stay away from Lucas. He might be dangerous."

Grey nodded.

"Alright, why don't you go back to your room and try to sleep," I suggested.

Grey stood, and headed for the door. Before leaving he turned around and gave me a worried look that sent shivers down my spine.

We both nodded in agreement.

We had to just go along until we figured everything out.

That night, I tossed and turned, and had horrid nightmares of what was to come.

Dear reader, I'm afraid to inform you that those nightmares would lay in our future. And horrid they were indeed.