chapter 21

Dear reader, irony can be a terribly dreadful thing. The actual definition of irony is the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

In our case, it was not humorous. Rather, it left us unprepared for what lay ahead.

It was the morning of the ball. Every morning in the days we had stayed were all the same. The nightmares came every night as well. The morning of the ball was different however, it was cheerful.

Too cheerful.

I awoke, acheless from the sleepless night, perfectly rested and my hair was cooperating.

But something felt off.

Just as Grey had described.

I was dressed, and made my way downstairs.
Bright morning light filled the whole manor, and out of open windows I could hear birds singing in the trees surrounding the manor.
A fresh spring breeze sweeping through the house, made the small curled pieces of hair around my face sway.

I made my way to the dining room, a hot breakfast awaiting.
Grey, and Ben sat at the table and looked up with smiles on their faces.

A calm settled, maybe it was just a cheery day.

"Delightful morning isn't it?" I asked sitting.

"Yes the weather is cooperating quite nicely isn't it?" Said Grey with a smile.

Poached eggs, bacon and beans filled my stomach, and I happily sat outside in the garden with a book.
In the sun it was warm, and I was absolutely content.

As I read, my mind drifted.

Lucas.

Quickly I gathered my skirts and took off running to find Grey. Surely he had seen Lucas.

I made my way into the house and found Grey immediately, engrossed in another novel.

"Grey, have you seen Lucas? I just remembered that he wasn't at breakfast."

"He wasn't here this morning, but don't worry I believe we will be fine, nothing bad will happen tonight, so just focus on this beautiful occasion. It's totally out of my character to say this, but let's just enjoy tonight, and worry about it tomorrow."

I nodded at Grey's words, hoping I could believe them. I did for a bit and a small amount of excitement replaced the worry.
It was going to be a great night.

The house was abuzz. Preparations for the ball tonight had commenced, so early in the morning. Chairs were set, a place for musicians, the ballroom was opened and aired out. Decorations were put up.

I was sitting in the library with Grey, when the butler came with a familiar box.

It was a box from the dressmakers.

"For the Miss," he said setting the box down on the table, and scurrying off with a bow.

Grey and I made our way to the box, and I opened it excitedly.
A sea of unfamiliar fabric filled the box.
A small note lay on top of the dress.

I felt this would be more suitable. You do seem to have simple taste and I think this would be most appropriate for the special occasion.

-L

"Of course," huffed Grey.

I pulled out the dress in awe. A delicate blue-green fabric flowed into the box. Underneath the high bodice was gemstones, beautiful and polished.
Tall white silken gloves accompanied the dress.
(A/n: check out the picture above)