chapter 22

~Entry from Greyson's Journal~

After being embarrassed like that, Hazel went to her room after crying in my arms for an hour or so.
She had been in her room for four or five days, without eating a full meal, she only picked and ate a bit from the food that was brought her and only drinking water.

I felt so helpless when she was crying in my arms, when she was shut up in her room, when they told me she was sick.
I felt like a helpless child once more.

The maids said she had caught a fever, and was trembling with chills. They called some nurses to help her, but she would not listen to them.

I hadn't been allowed in her room, because the maids said she was sick, deathly sick. And they feared I would catch it as well.
She was running a very high fever and stared at the ceiling for hours. After the second day Hazel refused to eat anything that wasn't sliced apples.

The maids also said she hadn't spoken a word, and slept for most of the day, except for the few hours where she would stare at the ceiling and refuse food.

They said that this was one of the worst cases they had seen, that she was lucky she wasn't dead yet.
The doctor was going to come.

If he didn't come fast enough, the maids tending to her, were sure she would die.

I waited outside her door almost the whole time, even though they would not let me see her.

A maid came out of Hazel's room, a concerned look on her face. She had a rag she was wringing nervously in her hands.

"Anything?" I asked standing, form the small bench in the hallway, that stood in front of the door.

"Her fever has gotten worse, and she has broken out in a sweat. She is shivering so horribly," the woman said still wringing the rag.

"Is that all?"

"She called your name, before she fell asleep."

My eyebrows shot up "can I go in there?"

"If you want to get sick, but she asked for you," said the maid with a sad look "that's the first thing she has said. This is your choice sir, but she did just fall asleep."

The maid then scurried away.

I took off the suit jacket I was wearing, revealing a soft cotton shirt, and softly opened the door.
Hazel was there sleeping, looking very pale, and shaking a bit.

I pulled up a chair, and removed the rag off her head, and dipped it in the cool water in the bowl next to her bed. I placed it back on her forehead, and she woke a little.

"Grey?" She asked softly opening her eyes a bit.

"Hey, I'm here," I said grabbing her hand.

"They wouldn't let you in!" She whined weakly "you always know what to do when I'm sick!"

She seemed so drained, just uttering out those few words.
Her eyes started to slide closed, but I could see that she was fighting it. She let out a whimpering noise.

"P-please tell them what they need to do," she said softly "you always know."

"Shhh shh," I said easing her, rubbing my thumb across the knuckles of her hand. Her eyes slid the rest of the way closed, and she fell asleep.

I waited by her side until the doctor came, and I was asked to step outside.

Ben and I hadn't seen Lucas since the ball. He had just disappeared, and people from town said that Elizabeth had disappeared as well. Everyone suspected that they ran away together, but I felt there was more going on.