chapter 23

-the Writing of Benjamin-

I felt so bad for Hazel and Grey, and it was my family's fault.
I couldn't bring myself to see her, no doubt she would not love me anymore because of my family.

After my brother disappeared, I was left with the manor, so my days were filled with meetings and business transactions.

My nights were sleepless, filled with paperwork. My days filled with meetings and more paperwork. Life taking over this quickly, caused a great amount of stress, and without the training and schedule laid out like Luke had his days, he always had enough time.

I supposed it was just until in was experienced enough.

I walked outside my study, deciding to take a break from the piles of papers. I sat down in the sitting room, and leaned back, letting my stiff posture soften, as I ran my fingers through my long red hair.
These ginger locks would soon be grey if I didn't manage my time and become less stressed.

I had already taken too much time, away from the paperwork.

I stood, and a knock came at the door.
Of course it was answered by one of the servants, and I heard the high pitched voices of women.

The noise panged my now forming headache, and I pinched my temples.

With a sigh I plastered on a small smile, and met the ladies at the door.

I couldn't quite remember their names, but they were very familiar, I recall they had befriended Hazel.

"Ladies," I said bowing, letting my stiffened posture return "why do I posses the honor of being in your company?"
"We have come to see Hazel, we heard she has fallen ill, so we wanted to see if there was much we could do to help," explained one of them.

Realizing who they were, I realized they were the sisters of Elizabeth that Hazel had talked with for a while. I did business with their father.

"She is much too sick to see anyone, but would you liken to join me for tea, since you've come this whole way?"

"Well, we just came to drop off a get well kit, and to say goodbye, we have other engagements soon, so we will have to decline your offer," the eldest said with a sad smile.

Their doorman dropped off small packages and then the women were on their way.

I had a maid fetch Greyson, and with a sigh I returned back to my study.

-Grey's Journal Entry-

I stayed by her side the whole time. It had been two days since the doctor came and gave a diagnostic, and she hadn't gotten any better.

She had nightmares every night, and woke up tears streaming her eyes.

It hurt so much to see her like that, every time she woke with a jump, calling my my name with tears in her eyes, my eyes would brim with tears and I would ease her back to sleep with soft words, and a broken heart.

A knock came at the door, and a maid entered bringing a dozen small packages.

"Some ladies from town came to see her, and left these for her," said the maid setting the packages on the small table.

"Thank you very much," I said whole heartedly.
She nodded and left to continue other chores.

I took a look at Hazel, then stood and made my way to the packages to investigate.

I picked them up in my arms, some were heavy, some were light.
I sat back down on the chair I had set next to her bed, and set the packages down on the floor next to me.
I picked up one, and opened it. Inside was a hand knit blanket, that was light blue and yellow.

I placed the blanket across Hazel's body, and continued opening the packages.

The packages had books, then some lavender oil, and some more blankets. And a beautiful comb was in the last package.

The three inch comb was made out ivory, and had an intricate Indian design. I flipped it over in my hands and engraved on one of the teeth of the combs it said 'East India Trading Company'.

This was an authentic ivory comb from India, that I held in my hands, in out time, it would be worth thousands. It just baffled me on how real everything was.

I looked from the comb to a sleeping Hazel, then back to the comb.

I slipped a hand under her neck, and lifted her head slightly. With the other hand I pushed the hair out of her face, and secured it with the comb.

Bringing the hair away from her face revealed a pale sleeping face, and two cowlicks on both sides of her forehead, above her temples.
The hair curved back, and stuck up like the ears of a bunny.

Bunny.

That would be an adorable nickname for her, I haven't  given her a nickname yet. This was perfect.
I laughed a bit to myself, certain she would be annoyed by it, and that made it all the better.

A solemn feeling took over once more. She was so sick she was dying. This person that was so strong, could be taken down by a fever.
It was baffling.

She was so weak and fragile, color drained from her face. She had taken a turn for the worst, but I was determined to get her better again.

I placed a hand on the top of her head, and with my thumb stroked her hairline, a pang in my stomach. She was going to get well, if that was the last thing I would do.
I removed my hand from her head, and picked up a new book, and began aloud.

I had read about a chapter, when Hazel cried out in her sleep.
Tears streaming her eyes, still she slept.

I set down the book, and held her hand, and the tears still running down her face.
She woke with a jump, immediately beginning to cry.

"Hey, what's wrong? Another bad dream?"

She nodded crying.

"It was so horrible, Lucas was there and he was disgusting and power mad, and he tried to hurt us," she said shaking "I was so afraid."

I squeezed her hand "you know, it's okay to be scared. It's not a bad thing."

She squeezed my hand back, drying her tears.

"Want some water?" I asked.

She nodded again.

I lifted her head, and helped her drink. She then settled closing her eyes.
"Can you read something to me?" She asked softly as her eyes slid closed.

I continued where I left off in the book, and read until Hazel's breathing became deep and I could tell she was asleep.
She was so scared of Lucas now, I didn't know why.

All of the nightmares were of Lucas hurting either Ben, her and I, and I wondered if maybe she could be right as to what lay ahead of us.