chapter 18

~The Account of Hazel~

After all the talk with Ben, I needed to tell Grey. He had to know what we were dealing with.
I found Grey in the library, and I knew it would be safe to tell him, because Ben went to his study.

"Grey, I have some interesting news," I said, nervous about how he would react, or if he made us leave because he was scared.

"What is it?" He asked, nose in book.

"Could you put down your book?" He followed my request and set down the book, marking his place with a ribbon.

"So I just had an interesting conversation with Ben," I paused "I found out that Lucas isn't the way he seems."
"How so?"

"Well, there had just been an incident, where Lucas wanted something of Ben's that was given to him when his grandparents passed, and Lucas has become very harsh, rude and hard to deal with for Ben," I explained " what Ben told me, is that Lucas may seem hospitable and courteous, but when he doesn't get his way he causes trouble for everyone."

"Sounds like a spoiled little kid. That's not good," he frowned "what if we get on his bad side?"

"That's what I fear, but we are only hearing one side of the story, so we can't really make a decision on who is in the wrong, or it would be biased."

"I don't want to face his bad side though," Grey said shuddering.

"Oh did I mention that I thought he was our age, but is actually 25? I was entranced by a crazy 25 year old," I frowned.

Grey looked at me with a blank face, and an emotionless stare, but then burst out laughing, and started holding his middle. He threw his head back, still laughing.
He wiped a tear "oh my god," Grey said "you're being hit on by a 25 year old, I jus-."

He began laughing harder, but as the laughs continued, my face became more and more stone-like, my brows scrunched up in annoyance.

"Shut up," I said seriously " you shouldn't laugh, it's creepy."
"I know, I'm sorry," he said while the laughs subsided. He let out a few more giggles, which got me smirking a bit, with his contagious grin and little giggles.
"I guess we just have to take in account the fact that it was normal for people at Lucas and my age to marry," I said "but, it's going to be really weird at the opera. It's going to be awkward now that we have an idea what he's like."

"Acting," Grey said in a singsong voice.

I sighed I was doing a lot of "Acting" I just hoped didn't slip up in any way.

"Oh, before Luke left, he told me there was a surprise for you in the greenhouse," he said "want to check it out?"
"Now it will be weird excepting gifts from him though."

"We can still go see what it is though," said Grey.
I nodded, and we headed to the greenhouse. The greenhouse was actually just a glass room connected off of the house, that had the afternoon sun shining through the windows.
There were many tropical plants, as well as rose bushes, and other flower bushes.

On a round wood table, was a bouquet of white roses, and a white box.

I read the letter that was on the table.

Dear Miss Matthews,
I had this ordered for you when you first cane, and they finally finished making it. Knowing you would not decline my offer to the opera, I thought you would like it presented as such.

-Lucas Thompson

"He seemed so sure of himself," snorted Grey, but shrugging his shoulders said "but free goodies, so open the box."
I obeyed, and lifted the lid, shimmering orange surprising me.

I picked up the delicate silken gown gingerly, holding it up by pinching it. It was a rich, savory pumpkin orange. The dress had small sleeves made of silk, and tall white gloves to accommodate the dress. At the bodice of the high waisted gown was white, amber and a lighter shade of orange, decorating in detailed and delicate designs, and a delicate lace trimmed the swooping neckline.

I held it softly by the waistline, the rest of the dress folded neatly in the white box on the table. The skirt of the dress had a film-like fabric that layered over the silk like two petals.

It was absolutely beautiful.

Grey whistled "that's some goodies, he must like you a bunch."
I elbowed him, receiving a little whine from Grey.

I called for a maid, and she took everything to my chambers, and set up everything so that after dinner I would be able to change and we would be on our way to the opera.
Dinner was light and quick, and preparation for the opera began.

I was stripped out of my dress, and had to change into another corset, and bloomers that were "finer" for the fancy dress.
Even though it didn't take very long to get used to the corsets, this one seemed to be much tighter. My breath was squeezed out of me once more, but I got used to this one as well, it was still very tight though.

The Orange silk gown was slipped on, and buttoned up. The soft fabric brushing my hands as the maid did my hair.
She curled my hair in tight curls with an iron that she heated up in the fireplace, and looked remotely dangerous. After my hair was in the tight curls, she put it up in a loose bun, that was all curls.
And to finish it all off she put little white flowers in my hair, and a slight dusting of powder.

I made my way downstairs in my delicate orange silk shoes, to a waiting Greyson.

"I like it," he said "it suits you, it's loud like you are."

I pushed him a bit, and he put on a cheesy grin. "You're stupid," I mumbled, smiling.
"But seriously," he said "it's nice."
I rolled my eyes with a grin.

I put on my tall silk gloves and cloak.

"Where is Ben?"
"In the carriage already."

"Well, then let's go," I said pushing him towards the door.