chapter 19

~The Journal Entry of Lucas~

I lied to them, I wasn't going on business. I was going to the seamstress to make sure the fabrics were perfect.

When I made my way into the shop, and was able to see the fabrics Hazel had picked out, I was disgusted. She choose fabrics that any common woman would wear.
I immediately had the order changed, and much finer fabrics would be used.

Surely she would be delighted, and my plan for proposing would be successful.

After that little arrangement had been handled, I made my way to the saloon for a quick drink and a game of poker, before I was to meet Hazel at the opera.

I played two rounds of poker, winning one and losing the other, and was going to play another, but realizing the time, I quickly finished off my brandy and set off to clean up.
After cleaning up a bit, I looked presentable, sharp even, and made my way to the opera house.

It was a short walk, and I bought the tickets.
Box 3 was the best in the house, and the best to win over my dearest Hazel.

Within a month's time, she was going to be Mrs. Hazel Thompson, I was sure if it.

I waited in the box for a good fifteen minutes until they arrived.
Both Ben and Greyson looked sharp in their fancy dress, like my suit and top hat.

My eyes eyes were immediately snagged from the boys, to Hazel's form.
She was handing her cloak to an attendant and thanking him, with a small smile. The man turned and bowed away.

She walked from the entry way, where a thick, red, velvet curtain gave the box more privacy. A shy look on her face, and a soft smile on her blushing features.

"Madame," I said kissing her gloved knuckles.

She softly curtsied.

"You look ravishing," I said breathlessly "the dress suits you well. You like the gown do you not?"

Hazel nodded "I like it very much, but I feel like it might be too much, I am very simple a need much, so this was such a surprise indeed. However, I love this color orange, it is quite a lovely color don't you agree."

I smiled with a complying nod.

"I must agree with my brother," came Ben's voice from behind me "that dress suits you very well, I did not catch a glimpse of the gown before this."

She smiled softly once again, blush increasing.
I became furious, how dare my brother try and win her over now?
I took in a deep breath, I supposed he was just trying to be nice, and I let the anger boil down.

"Shall we sit?" She asked, not noticing the tension.

I led her to her seat, and she flashed a grateful smile, Ben had no chance, she was already so inticed and was sure to accept my hand at the ball.