chapter 30

~The Account of Hazel~

There they stood right before us.

"Ah! So you have finally decided to grace us with your presence," said Elizabeth with an evil smile.

"Why would you make them hurt us?" I almost screamed at her.

She chuckled "why to see how far it would take to break you. And it seems the only way to break you is to hurt you or your little boyfriend," she spat.

My face turned red at the mention, but there was more pressing matters at hand.

"But why?" I asked.

"Why what?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Why hurt us, why figure out a way to break us? Why torture us?" I said shaking.

"You were in my way," she said simply "you showed up and started figuring out there was something going on."

"Why drag him into this?" I said reaching almost screaming once more.

"He wants to, right honey?" She asked, and Lucas nodded almost mechanically.

"He may have some of that serum," whispered Grey.

"Luke..." I said slowly walking towards him as if i was approaching an injured animal. 
Grey shook his head vigorously at me and grabbed my arm, tears were in his eyes.

"I can't lose you," he whimpered"I already let you down once." 

"You won't" I smiled and kissed his cheek tenderly. 

I pulled away.

"Luke you said you loved me. That's human, that's an emotion, that means there still a chance you could hear me. I know you can Luke you just have to fight this. Think about Ben, your brother? This about how much he loves you. Think about me, think how much it would hurt me to see you die. Luke, please say you love me. Please come back to us Luke please?!"

For a moment Luke's chiseled stern features subsided and the looks of a small terrified boy replaced it.

"I can not go back from where I am. I have nothing left," he said with a melancholy expression and terrified eyes.

"You do," I said cautiously walking forward "you have Ben, you have us."

"Elizabeth told me you lied to Ben and I. She said you lied," he said lip quivering, I could see the conflict within him.

"We lied about where we were from," I examined with a soft soothing voice "and both I us are orphans. We were afraid to tell you."

"Elizabeth said that you shouldn't be here, she said she knows you don't belong," he said lip quivering "how can I trust what you're saying now?"
"Luke, we love you like family," said Grey and I nodded in agreement.

"No more secrets from now on, we can leave right now and none of this ever happened," I offered.

He walked closer, his guard down. I held out a hand for him.
He smiled softly and I could see him coming back.
I gave him a reassuring smile.

He crept closer, but then stopped with a shocked look on his face. He looked down, and a flash of metal was protruding from his abdomen.

He looked down shocked as the blade slid out.

Blood, dark thick blood, bubbled from the gash. Luke soon fell to his knees and then onto his side with a groan.
Blood poured from him, and above stood Elizabeth. With a dark grin and bloodied dagger, she looked up at us and laughed.