chapter 14

~The Account of Hazel~

We arrived into the town, and Greyson's headache had subsided, all the impacts of the bug-thing attacking him, almost completely gone.
I looked at the splendid town, many people about and many shops surrounded us.

"This is such a pretty town," then the scent hit me "minus the stench it's delightful."
"I agree, it's quite charming," said Grey putting on the act once more.

We traveled down the cramped road, not slowly, but definitely a slackened pace than when we were on our way into town. After a few minutes, we stopped in front of the seamstress' shop, and exited the carriage. The driver then, rode the carriage off to a place to rest and water the horses.
As we walked in a little bell jingled, and a woman appeared from the back.
"How may I help you?" The lady asked kindly.
"Mr. Thompson has scheduled me an appointment to get fitted, and pick out a few gowns," I said, and once I mentioned Lucas her expression grew even sweeter.
"Yes miss, right this way."
I followed her to a side room, and a little platform in front of a mirror. Grey was left out in the open space to helplessly look at ribbon samples.
The woman pulled out a measure. She checked my height, then had me lift my arms and measured my arm span, then measured my waist. The measuring continued.
"Alright miss, I have the four dress patterns that Mr. Thompson choose, now dear you may pick the selection of fabrics."
"Which dress shapes are for what occasions?" I inquired.
"The first dress is the elegant one for balls and such, the second is a day dress, and the third is a walking dress."

I chose the fabrics and was sent back to the front room with Grey, to go pick out ribbons from the racks hanging from the ceiling.
"That took ridiculously long," said Grey rolling his eyes.
"Yes I know, I would rather wear trousers, but I guess we both must deal with things we don't like," I replied, taking a closer look at a ribbon.
The ribbons were so authentic looking and feeling. It wasn't like the ribbons of 2017, that were mostly made of polyester and other fabrics that were fabricated by man. The ribbons that tickled my fingertips were made of silk, wool and cotton.

"What are you thinking about?" Asked Grey.
"Nothing."
"You're lying, what are you thinking about?" He insisted.
"Everything in this time is so authentic, it's so rich and so full of life, yet we should not be here, in our time it is all dead and gone, and it is so alive even so," I said perplexed "plus how did you know I was even thinking?"

He looked at me and sighed "when you concentrate you furrow your brow, and get a real serious face. And you are right, it is very weird."
I was about to add more to the conversation, until the seamstress came out from the back room.

"Ma'm they will be ready in a few day's time, we will send for you when they are finished," she bowed and returned to behind the desk.
After that Grey and I walked out of the store, and ventured out to the town until the carriage was to be ready.

We walked out and the clean air filled our lungs. Grey offered his arm, and I gladly linked my arm in his. We began walking down the sidewalk, and received many stares, and I knew people were whispering to each other about Greyson and I.
" I think they may be talking about us,"
I whispered to Grey. "I agree," he whispered back "many gentlemen seem to be noticing you."
My cheeks burned, and I flushed with embarrassment. I clung tighter to Grey's arm, hoping that would somehow relieve my awkwardness and make me feel better. The state's and whispering continued and my embarrassment was clear.

"I hate this," I whispered, trying to fake a smile.

"Me too, but there is Dean, so we will be leaving soon," he said pointing out Dean and our carriage for me.

Dean stopped the carriage and Grey helped me up into it, keeping up our acting. Grey then hopped in as well, and we continued down the street.

The horses trotted down the street, pulling the carriage. I felt the eyes on us, and I glanced back at some that were walking along the sidewalks.
My eyes locked with a woman that had grey eyes and a hardened expression. She had leathered skin and was being pushed in a wheelchair by a maid. The old woman looked just like my grandmother. Their likeness almost alarming, they looked as if they could be twins.

A deep feeling wrenched my gut, and a strange feeling crept up as well as a deep melancholy.
How I missed my grandmother, though she was stern she was the only family I had. My parents were workaholics, I would spend most of my time at school, or by myself at home. I resplendent have friends then either. They gave me the basics, but they were never really there, however, my grandmother was far beyond amazing.

I tore my eyes away from the people's faces, and let my eyes sadly drift to my hands on my lap.

The regret and guilt of leaving the time where my grandmother rested, panged me and I knew that Grey was in fact right. He was right that this wasn't really a game, this was serious and we had to make our way home.

If we stayed, yes life wouldn't be as complicated with all the laws and education requirements and college, and owning property. But we would be the only ones who knew about time traveling, and we would not live to see the life we had left, because we would be long dead.

It was a very hard decision to make. Half of me wanted to stay and forget the problems of our time, but the other half of me wanted to go back, if it was possible at all, and honor my gran.

I hoped that Grey would understand how I felt.