21. Marquilla

I heard everything Jason said. I also heard the little conversation he had with Skylar outside. I'm lucky to have the best friend and boyfriend in the world, but never in my wildest dreams would I ever imagine them getting that catty over me. I didn't know Skylar had a grudge on Jason until just now! I don't think she ever did, to be honest. You really do miss a lot when you've been out for weeks, don't you?

Jason regards me with wide eyes, like he can't believe I'm alive after everything everyone's told him. But here I am, lying in this super uncomfortable hospital bed smelling frankincense while admiring my very disheveled-looking boyfriend who I assume just ended tour not too long ago. I can even hear the beeping noises from the machines and blink. Yup. I'm very much alive and awake right now.

"Marquie," he breathes in incredulity, drinking the sight of me in. "Y-you're awake. Oh my God, you're awake! I can't believe you're actually awake right now and I'm the first thing you see! This is amazing! OH MY GOD, MARQUILLA!"

He's like an adorable puppy bouncing up and down as he holds my hand. The sparkle of ecstasy in his eyes makes them shine as brightly as the most prominent star on a cloudy night. I can't say I completely dislike him when he's like this, but I still have my reservations. The boy said plenty of things to Skylar and myself prior to this that makes me feel like he's going to be insufferable. On the other hand, he is finally quitting music...

"So you mean everything you said?" I ask without giving away my excitement. I'm obviously stoked he's quitting music, but you never know with Jason when it comes to his career. It'd be such a drag if he only said those words purely because they felt like the right thing to say at the time.

"I do," Jason solemnly swears as he gently presses his lips on mine, kissing it with as much fragility as a descending feather drifting in the wind. "I really do mean it, Marquilla. I'm taking a break from music. It's legit. I made an official statement announcing my break shortly after I found out about what happened. I really, really want to be here for you, babe. And if it means taking a couple years off, then so be it."

I can't help crying. I've been working for this very moment, and it's been a tough ride. This is everything I hoped for and more! I just can't believe it's actually happening! I thought for sure it'd take more convincing for Jason to agree on this since he loves his fans so much.

I'm so overjoyed that I grab Jason's face and give him the biggest kiss I've ever given him without being under the prying eyes of paparazzi. He probably thinks I'm so happy he's going to be spending more time with me, but that's definitely not the case. I'm ecstatic he's quitting music and leaving his stupid fans for me!

"I'm sorry I'm crying," I apologize as he wipes away my tears. "I'm just really overwhelmed right now and I can't help it. I must look so stupid right now!"

"Shh! It's okay," he shushes, gazing lovingly at me. "You just got out of a really long—um, you just woke up. I'm just glad I have this chance to show how much I truly care about you, Marquie. Tour's finished; I'm all yours now. I can't imagine my life without you in it. My life would suck without you."

There he goes again! I don't know how many times I can stand hearing him say things like that. I wouldn't mind if he had been hard to get, but I reeled him in so easily that he literally thinks the world of me! I really need to find a way to get him out of my hair. I'd probably die for real if I have to endure this shit for much longer.

"You know what? Can you give me a moment to myself?" I request as I bat my lids, a surefire move to make him agree. "I just need a breather, you know? Being awake again after being out for days really does things to you."