Your Reminders: The Rain

The rainy and cloudy weather had always brought a box full of happiness with it whenever it came. But now, after all these years, it comes with a box with full of memories making me feel so absurdly nostalgic. You've left. And it's been two years. I had almost gotten over you. But this weather brought back a series of flashbacks. Moments that once made me smile now kill me from inside.

Do you remember the first time you confessed that you had been in love with me? It was damp and raw that night. Chilly winds didn't give me that many goosebumps that your words did. You just popped out of a whole long conversation saying, "Hey, I got a confession!" "What?" "I'm in love with you, gorgeous!" The cold wind just took my soul that night and mended it in a way I couldn't have imagined to the least bit.

Can you recall the first imaginative love prose I sent you? Dreary clouds laced the sky that day too. But it didn't rain like it used to. The rain drops felt colder this time. Or maybe they weren't colder. Maybe it was just the first time I actually ever felt the rain from within. The vapours fell on my face like you kissed me, slowly pouring down. They used to say that the smell of the rain is beautiful and I always wondered how and why? That day, I finally got my answer. It isn't the smell of the rain. It's the clover scented gale of love.

Do you know? The first time you ringed up, there was a thunderstorm. Not outside but within my chest. I was scared of having fallen so badly for you. And you comforted me saying, "You don't need to fear anyone. Brave hearts don't fear love. And you, are the bravest person I have met."

Can you remember the first time you asked me out? It wasn't cloudy that day but my mind was clouded with strange and uncanny thoughts. I told you I won't come because I wasn't feeling well. But you knew I was lying. And I had to tell you what was wrong. You could've changed the topic easily. But you insisted on hearing my heart. And that was one thing, no one had ever bothered to do.

Do you remember? The first time we met the grocery store by accident, I was wet with the heavy showers because I had run down to get medicine for my mom. I hadn't been more embarrassed ever before. But you just smiled at me like I smile and look and the stars these days. You said it was alright, "Darling I love you for who you are. You don't need to worry about anything, okay?"

I'm sure you remember our first kiss. That night, it rained heavily. You knew I loved getting wet in the rain, so you pushed me in. I played like a two year old while you stood there, staring at me. The cunning of your passion and the sparkle in your eyes told me it was the time. You said not a word, just drew me close. And I knew we were drowning in love that night.

Do you remember the first time we broke up? It was drizzling then. We fought over a stupid girl who was after you. You disconnected the line right on my face saying, "By the rain of tonight, I won't ever talk to you again!" And ten minutes later, the weather turned it's way around. I texted you, "Even the rain knows you can't live without me..." And you spent the whole night making apologies that weren't even required.

And finally, the night you departed from me for forever. I can't put that dreadful night into words, for all I'll end up saying would be a list of curses and nothing else.

I just look that sky now. The showers have come to a halt. The sky turns sapphire as the twilight appears. In a sky full of scattered clouds, I ogle at a star. I'd never thought we'd part, but above all, I'd never thought I will have to look at stars to speak to you.