A Letter to Me (II)

Dear formerly broken heart that's now mended,

Hey! Congratulations buddy! Great to know you moved on. You can finally shine now, lighting up the way for someone who's lost in the darkness of this crowded world. You must be wondering why I write to you now, for my job was done long ago.

Well, well. I write to you now to tell you that you're going to fall in love again. You must be thinking, "Never again!" But I know you will. For mended hearts like ours search for kind words. We're now going to pull out everyone from such pain. Because now, we can feel it. We know why there's one girl in the batch who ogles at a guy and her eyes flood with tears. We know why there's a quiet boy in the canteen queue who wouldn't bother about anyone going before him. We know why grandma's pillow is wet every night as she goes to sleep ogling at the empty side of the bed. We know why mom is silent when dad fights with her over the food she tried, hoping dad would eat happily. We know why brother has a password on his laptop and why sister always smiles at her phone when it beeps.
We know why dad always stops us from talking to guys and keeps a check on our phones. We now know why there's one guy in the neighbourhood that shows up in the gallery at 6 pm everyday. Not to watch the sunset, but to watch his star and begin his day. We know why there's that girl in the coffee shop who comes there everyday and sips two black coffees alone on the same round table every time.

We now know why every smile isn't as beautiful as the others. We now know why people always say they've mastered an art and we wondered what it was. But now we know. It was the art of faking smiles. It was the art of hiding tears. It was an art. An art that helped survival.

So we will try. We will try to pull them out of that depression, that box of nostalgia and melancholy. And we will finally succeed in doing so. But we will fail at another task. The task of controlling our heart. And we will fall. This time, worse than before.

I don't ask you to not help them. I ask you not to fall for them. Because darling, loving the wrong person does hurt.But what if they say the love you back and prove it? Accept their love, but make sure it's someone you can have and not could have. Because the wrong time hurts more than the wrong person.