=>The Night Before<=

It was 2 AM.

Kathy laid on the king-sized bed, yet couldn't sleep. The fact that Paul seemed upset with her was enough to keep her awake.

"What the hell did I do? I just talked to him! It's not like we kissed or something.", she spoke. Someone who doesn't know her would think she was going bonkers.

"He winks at other girls, I do nothing; I talk with one boy, he goes and grabs me from him?! The f**k!", she continued, waving her hands in the air.

After seconds of silence, she stood up and made her way to the stairs.

"Ugh, I need some milk.", she muttered to herself. She went downstairs and check the couch for Paul.

She couldn't see that well since it was pretty dark and she was too lazy to open the lights, but she managed to make out some lumps lying on the sofa.

Kathy opened the fridge and searched for some milk. She smiled when she found it. Getting a glass from the cupboard, she poured its contents and drank the cold liquid, cooling her insides.

"Oh, Paul, why are you mad at me? What did I do?", she sighed, sitting on the counter, finishing her milk. Kathy jumped and washed the glass she used.

She turned around to exit the kitchen when she heard something clink in the dining room. It made her have goosebumps.

"Who- who's there?!", she asked. The clinking stopped. Kathy could make out a silhouette sitting on one of the chairs.

"Shit.", she muttered, grabbing the closest thing her hand could grab. With all her might she threw it at the shadow.

"Ow! What the f**k?!", he yelled, hissing in pain. She opened the lights and gasped.

"Paul?!"

"Yeah, hello to you, too! Dammit!", he said, rubbing his head. Kathy rushed over to him.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! I thought you were an intruder!", she explained. Paul still didn't seem amused. He picked up what she threw at him from the floor.

"You were gonna defend yourself with a f**king spoon?", he asked, holding the utensil up for her to see. She smiled nervously.

"I just grabbed whatever I could. Sorry.", she repeated. Kathy took this time to look at what he was doing.

"You were eating cereals at 2 AM? Seriously, McCartney?", she spoke, a hint of amusement in her voice.

The boy just glared at her. "Whatever. I'm still upset with you."

He then stood up, brought his bowl to the sink and went back to the living room, probably to go back to sleep.

Kathy sighed. She ascended the stairs and climbed onto her bed, finally dozing off.

-x-

Kathy woke up to the sunlight hitting her face. She stretched and subconsciously touching the side of her bed, feeling no one there.

She then remembered the night before. Kathy ruffled her hair and lazily got out of bed. She descended the stairs and ti he surprise, Paul wasn't there.

"Shit, did he leave?", she muttered to herself. She frantically looked for him around the house, and relief washed over her when she found him in the bathroom, struggling with his tie.

She composed herself so she didn't seem like she was worrying about him, yet deep inside, she can't dent the fact she was.

"Where are you going?", Kathy said, almost making Paul jump in surprise. He looked at her for a moment, then went back to fixing his tie.

"The band's been called to perform in some occasion. I thought it was going to be later in the afternoon, but there's been a change in plans.", ge stated blankly. Kathy just nodded.

She was about to turn away when she heard Paul curse. "Stupid tie.", he said, and his eyebrows were starting to meet.

"You need some help with that?", she offered, hesitant. Paul stopped what he was doing and glanced at her, sighing. He didn't answer, but just faced her. She made her way towards him and started fixing his tie.

"It should go under, not over.", she told him, Paul just kept his eyes on her the whole time.

"There. Done.", she said, brushing dust off his suit. There was silence between the two as they just stared at each other.

"Look, Paul, I'm sorry, okay?", she finally said. Paul just watched her. "For what?", he asked.

She sighed. "Oh, stop with the games, McCartney! I know you got mad because I was talking to Richard last night."

Paul just watched her intently. Kathy stared into his eyes, as well. When neither of them said anything, she turned her back on him.

But a hand grabbed her by the arm and spun her around, making her face almost inches away from Paul's own.

"I'm not... mad. I'm just upset with the fact that you could get along with Richard so easily, but me- heck, we've known each other since we were kids, Kathy! Why can't we make this work?", Paul told her, running his hands through his hair. Kathy was speechless.

"I..", she trailed off, bowing her head. Paul was right, and that made her feel bad. Why can't she try and make them work?

The boy took her hand in his, and lifted her chin up with his index finger. Her brown eyes met his hazel orbs.

"We may have had our differences in the past, Kathy, but I'm trying, believe me, to he a good partner to you. Can't you do the same?", he asked, his eyes looking sad.

She stayed quiet and just analyzed his features. Something in them sent her insides into a frenzy; it's like dragons were having a heck of a party in her stomach. She didn't understand it.

Paul too, seemed to be caught in a trance as he held his wife-to-be's hand in his own. As he stared into her brown ones, he felt his heartbeat increase and his hands start to sweat. He didn't understand it.

Kathy finally managed to snap back into reality and give an answer to the boy gazing down on her.

"I can try, Paul."