=>Little Child<=

Seconds turned into minutes, minutes turned into hours, hours turned into days, and days turned into weeks. The couple still resumed visiting Mary and Samuel in the hospital. They didn't get any news from the doctors about when she would regain consciousness, and whether her condition is improving. Every visit they did, they went home with nothing.

"When will Mum wake up?", Paul said suddenly, after minutes of silence. Kathy looked up from her pocket book and met his gaze, sighing.

"I really don't know, Paul. The doctors can't give us a definite answer to that.", she replied. The lad just blinked and watched his mum as she lay in the hospital bed.

It's been almost a month since the accident, and they still didn't get anything from Mary. Not even a faint movement from her dainty fingers.

Paul wished that he was the one in her place right now. He didn't know what his mum deserved to end up like this.

"If only I'd been there…", he trailed off.

Just then, Samuel entered the room, with two cups of coffee in hand. Anyone who saw him might assume he was Paul's grandfather or something.

He had heavy bags under his eyes, his beard got longer, his hair was grayish, his wrinkles were evident, and his cheeks were sunken. From the looks of him, you could tell he was broken and devastated with what happened.

"I got you guys some coffee. Sorry, I didn't add any creamer on. I'll get it-"

"No, it's fine, Samuel. I'll get the cream and sugar.", Kathy cut him off. This was it. This was the moment she could finally let the two settle their feud.

Before Paul could protest, Kathy was already out the door. Samuel just scratched his head and sat down on the sofa far from his stepson.

"How's Mary?", he asked, gathering the courage to speak to the young lad in front of him. This surprised Paul a bit, but he didn't show it.

"She's still the same.", he replied. Samuel just nodded.

"Um, pardon me for questioning, but how are you and Kathy?", he asked again. Paul then looked up at him.

"We're fine. Why do you ask?"

"Oh, um, nothing. That's good, then.", he quickly responded. Paul could tell that Samuel was thinking about his words very carefully, almost as if he was nervous that he would utter something that would lead to another argument.

"Is Mum doing okay during night?", Paul asked. Samuel nodded, but had a sad face at the mention of his wife's name.

"Yea, I guess so. She once had a seizure, and that got me all panicky but it's a good thing the doctors were able to keep her stable.", he replied, and Paul nodded.

There was a moment of silence between the two men, and their eyes just focused on the woman currently laying on the bed.

"Don't 'try'. Do it."

Kathy's words replayed again in his head. He sighed, remembering how he was sternly told by his wife-to-be to apologize to his stepfather a few weeks ago. Every day Paul didn't apologize to Samuel, he would get a glare from Kathy.

"Samuel...", Paul trailed off, catching Samuel's attention. He looked at him, as if saying 'go on'.

"I- I'm so-sorry for being ru-rude to you a few weeks ago.", he finally stated after stammering, and Samuel was surprised. Never had he imagined Paul to speak such a thing.

"Pardon?", Samuel asked, not believing what he heard. This garnered an eyeroll from Paul.

"You heard me, Samuel. I'm apologizing to you for being an ass."

Samuel still couldn't get over the fact that his stepson had finally warmed up to him. But he tried his best to keep a straight face and not be emotional about the entire matter.

"I apologize, too. I tried too much to be a father to you, not thinking how much you wanted your real dad. I guess I was just excited when I learned that I would have a son, sort of.", he replied.

Well, hearing that made Paul even more guilty, if that was possible. He bowed his head down and suddenly memories of Samuel buying him a new guitar, providing him with a car and house, and checking up on him every now and then came into view.

How could he have been such a jerk to the person who practically spoiled him just to earn his approval?

Paul then glanced at Samuel and noticed his appearance. Something then churned inside him, something like pity.

Then, he remmebered that Samuel probably hadn't even got a proper bath since the day he rushed Mary to the hospital. He didn't leave her side ever since.

He really did love his mum.

"Why don't... why don't you go home, Samuel? I'll stay with Mum for the day.", he spoke, hesitating a bit.

Hearing this made Samuel snap his head up and meet his stepson's gaze. Was he really concerned for him?

"Uh- yea, okay. Thanks, Paul.", he softly replied, cautious not to call him 'son'.

He slowly stood up and grabbed his bag, and walked towards the door. But upon reaching the doorknob, he stopped.

Should he? It was a risk, but worth taking.

He then turned around and walked toward his stepson, who looked at him in confusion. He just stood there at first, his mind still fighting whether he would do it or not.

Samuel then embraced Paul in his arms, taking the latter by surprise. He didn't know whether he would hug back or not. Paul decided to pat his stepfather's back, and with that, Samuel pulled away.

"Um-"

"Sorry, I just was happy that you're starting to- well, warm up to me, I guess.", he replied.

Paul didn't say anything. He wasn't sure if Samuel was right, but a part of him believes he is.

"I'll be going now.", the older man spoke again, and left the room.

Paul smiled to himself. He was proud that he had swallowed his pride and reconciled with his stepdad.

He was so buried in his thoughts that he was unaware of his fianceé standing by the door with a proud smile plastered on her small face, and with two sachets each of creamer and sugar in her hands.

"Well, I gotta say, I'm impressed.", she spoke, startling the lad infront of her. She chuckled at this and walked towards him.

"I'm surprised with myself, as well.", he responded, and Kathy sat on his lap after she placed the sachets down.

"And... you won't be getting any glares from me anymore.", she said, earning a laugh from Paul.

"I gotta ask, don't I get any reward?", he then inquired with a sly grin on his face.

"What reward do you suggest?", she asked teasingly, tracing his jaw with her index finger.

"Well...", he trailed off, his eyes fixated on her lips, and leaned in.

Just then, they were interrupted.

"Excuse me, guys but- oh my! I'm so sorry! I'll come back later!", Samuel ranted, flustered at having seen the pair, and immediately shut the door. Kathy couldn't stop herself from laughing.

"I'm now regretting that Samuel and I made up.", Paul stated with a blank expression, but then he heard Kathy's contagious laughter and he laughed along.