Chapter 7 - The Ugly Green Monster

Chapter 7

---

"Hey, Elyse!" I sprinted up the stairs to my room without so much as a greeting the instant I set foot in the house. Throwing my back on the floor, I quickly called Reece on Skype, and waited for her to answer.

"The party's today huh? Step one of operation Play The Player!" She answered me excitedly with a smile. I had told Reece about our plan and she was ecstatic about it. "So what are you gonna wear?" I felt really sad that this was going to be the first party I go to without Reece.

I pulled out the strapless, sparkly gold top, which I had bought the other night along with a matching purse, and a pair of black skinny jeans. I changed my clothes in front of Reece before looking in the mirror. The outfit hugged my curves and the pants complimented my long legs.

"So? What do you think?" I turned to face my laptop that was on my desk to see Reece beaming and wiggling her eyebrows.

"That Ryder better enjoy you while he can," she winked, looking me up and down.

   I frowned at the thought of him. I did agree to Bex's plan, but I wasn't going to make him manipulate me. If that bit-- touches me in any way that I don't like, he might just a loose a finger or two. Yes, I do realize that he's a guy, but he's still a bit--.

After several minutes of rummaging through what seemed to be the world's messiest closet, I finally pulled out the black heels that I had planned on wearing. I once lost my hamster in my messier closet in Arizona. Gilly, that was his name. Come to think about it, I forgot how I lost him again for the second time. Or did he die? Whatever.

"I'm pretty sure Ryder'll have to look up to you with those heels and your height." She laughed which and I groaned. It was times like these that made me hate my height; I could never wear heels.

"Don't worry, he's very tall. And muscular," I added quietly, but Reece heard and burst out laughing.

"You're not supposed to fall for him. It's supposed to be the other way around," she said with warning.

"Oh, don't worry, there's no way I'll fall for him. It will be the other way around," I said before winking. I looked at the clock above my desk. 15 minutes till 3, I thought and started putting on accessories: a simple gold necklace that had a heart in it, dangling golden earrings, and a black, diamond-shaped ring.

"I think I'm ready," I said to Reece, running a hand through my hair that I curled earlier. She smiled approvingly, and I smiled back.

    "Well then, go and make his jaw drop," she said winking before hanging up.

You can do this, she sent a message before going offline, and I took a deep breath. I can do this.

"Oh, Ash! You made it! And Bex, is it?" Emma hugged me the second she opened the door before greeting Bex nicely. I could see that the pleasure she showed in meeting us wasn't faked. The music was very loud making me feel every beat in my heart. 

I had picked up Bex with me before coming, and she was wearing what we bought yesterday. Again, she was reluctant to come to the party, but with I my special persuading skills, she was convinced to come.

"C'mon in!" She showed me inside, and I scanned the crowded room for familiar faces. There were quite a few; all of them whom I had met in some very awkward circumstances. There was this guy who slipped on a smoothie on the floor that I spilled by accident, and once he saw me he turned the smile that was on his face into a frown. I quickly looked away and noted not to get close to him, then walked over to where the appetizers were, in the corner of the room.