Chapter 23 - Ryder's Thesaurus

*NOT EDITED*

Chapter 23

---

   The next morning I woke up early so I can get to our house before lunch like Elyse requested. Emma was really reluctant to let me go, but I had promised Elyse and she understood that.

   "So, how are you and Drake?" I asked Emma, watching her stop the traffic light turn from yellow to red.

   "We're great." She had a weird look on her face like she wasn't sure.

   "Come on, ou can tell me anything."

   "I don't know. Everyone has these high expectations of us being the golden couple. It can get really pressuring at times. There are times when I avoid a fight because we're the fricking golden couple, but we need to talk about it." She sighed.

   "I get your point. Fight. You should fight if you want to because this is really not a healthy relationship. The fights are going to make the relationship better. Are you . . . Do you love him?" I watched out for her reaction.

   It took her a while to answer, her face thoughtful. "No . . . I mean, yes. Gosh, I don't know! I just imagine us being married and having kids with a house that has a picket fence."

   "If you guys broke up, do you think you'll be able to love again?"

   "God, no! Never," she said without hesitation.

   "Would you take a bullet for him?"

   "Yes, yes, I would," she said after a minute of thinking.

   I smiled. "You're in love, Emma."

   She smiled slightly, but then it dropped. "What if he doesn't feel the same way?"

   "He does." My voice was full of confirmation. I looked to the right to see that we'd reached my house. "I have to go now. Thanks for the ride."

   She nodded, but her mind was elsewhere. I left her to her own thoughts and got out of the car.

   Remembering that I didn't get my keys with me, I rang the doorbell with a groan. For some reason, in our house, we'd never hear the doorbell. Never. It was probably because we were always shouting.

   I rang the doorbell three more times, and Sarah answered on the third.

   "Oh, I forgot you even existed," Sarah joked, letting me in.

   I chuckled and walked up the stairs to change. Emma had let me borrow her pajamas since I didn't have a change of clothes. They smelled like lavender.

   After changing, I walked down the stairs to see everyone doing their own thing. Damon was watching a football game, Sarah and Elyse were engrossed in their conversation, and Dad was surprisingly cooking. Dad never cooks because every time he does, it ends in a disaster.

   "I'm here!" I announced with a smile.

   No one answered.