Chapter 30 - Afterwards

*NOT EDITED*

Chapter 30

---

   No one said a word for what felt like forever, and the silence made me feel suffocated like it was weighing on my whole body.

   "Charlie," Mr. Adams said with great warning in his voice.

   Ryder was grinding his jaw infuriated at his sister's words, but I tried to keep a calm exterior.

   "You barely know me, what makes you say that?"

   Ignoring everyone's stares on her, she cut through her steak with a knife. "Everyone that has ever dated Ryder didn't have that high of a standard."

   "Well, I assure you I'm different. You don't have a lot to judge on seeing that we just met. I really wanted to get to know my boyfriend's family and you seemed like such a nice person, but I think it's time for me to go." I stood up but Ryder held my hand firmly.

   He stared me in the eyes pleadingly, his deep chocolate orbs making me waver in my decisions.

"Ash, she won't be mean again. I don't want you to go, please sit down," Benjamin said and I sat back down slowly. He smiled at me and I gave him a small smile back.

"Charlie, I'd like to get to know you better. I like Ryder. A lot," I said, "I don't know what I did to you to make you hate me this much, but I'm not giving up."

Everyone was staring at me with disbelieving looks on their faces including Charlie herself as I took a bite out of my salad. I don't blame them—the woman called me a slut and I want to befriend her. She said nothing as she went back to eating, but the dazed look on her face said it all.

Ryder put his hand on mine and I looked to see a look on his face that made me feel warm all over and my heart jump. His smile was so warm and contagious, his dimples popping up and I couldn't resist but smile back at him.

After that, everyone went back to eating silently except for when Sasha'd make small talk with me.

"So, where are you applying for college next year?" Mr. Brooks asked, talking the first time since we sat on the table.

"I want to stay close to my parents so I think University of Toronto. But before we moved to Alaska, I had sent my college applications to Stanford and Boston University. I got accepted in both."

"Oh, that's great! Was it on a scholarship?" Jo asked.

"Yes, I'm the co-captain of the school soccer team."

"Thank God. I'm so tired of having girls in the cheerleading team," Sasha laughed, "I have nothing against it, though."

   I laughed along with her and finished up my plate before taking it to the kitchen. I quickly but throughly washed it, careful not to get my dress dirty. Jo walked in as I was walking out and her eyebrows rose in surprise when she connected the dots and realized that I washed my dishes.

   "You didn't have to do that," she said, putting her dish in the sink as well.

   "The food was really good and I didn't want Sash to work more than she already did. One less dirty dish for her." I laughed a little with Jo.