Chapter 41 - Damned Dysfunctional Devices

*NOT EDITED*

Chapter 41

---

The next day, I felt horrible. Everyone left to see the Christmas LA streets and I stayed in. They all tried so hard to get me to go with them, but I kept firm and stayed in.

I felt so completely, utterly, stupid, and played. How did I think that Ryder would stop his player acts and stick to me? Of course, he wouldn't, now I realize that. I left and he was finally . . . free.

But maybe she's just a friend, maybe she's a relative even. I opened my phone and checked her pictures again. The way he held her at the waist said otherwise.

After poking around some more, I finally found her account. Ryder was smart and didn't tag her in any of the photos, but I found her. Nothing would be able to go past me if you didn't count the whole Ryder-may-be-cheating-on-me part.

Wow.

Now, that I finally said it out loud, it finally hit me.

He was cheating on me.

The Skype ringtone rang from my laptop. Reece's face flashed across the screen and I couldn't help but stare at it with longing.

If only she was here with me now, I thought as I clicked on the green Answer Skype Call button before she closed.

The screen changed to a live one of her grinning at me. She was in her typical, organized, white-walled room with a pencil through her hair.

"Hey, kiddo," she greeted.

I took a deep breath through my nose. "Hi."

Her grin faltered a bit, and she sat up straighter. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Everything's just peachy." I forced a smile. As weird as it sounded, I felt embarrassed to tell her about what happened. Reece was almost my sister, but I don't know why I felt like that.

She stared at me skeptically. "This is not good. Does Damon know about this?"

"Know about what?"

"Just a second, then."

I frowned confusedly at her as she grabbed her phone from her side. After a second or two of using it, she placed it against her ear and stared back at me.

"Reece, what are you doing?"

She opened her mouth to answer but stopped and held a finger in the air, signaling for some silence. "Hey . . . yes, I know it's very early . . . no! Of course, I'm not pregnant . . . L-listen, Damon! I'm going to add you to Ash and I's Skype call. You better or answer, or so help me, God . . . Okay, bye."

I was still in a confused state until she ended the call with him. After a few seconds, everything clicked into place and I knew what Reece was planning.

Damon answered Reece's invite obediently and I watched as the two of them started bickering again. I was reminded of what Cameron said about them and noted how she was right. The chemistry between them was so obvious, it would need a pencil not to realize it.