Chapter 1

Lol, I can't wait any longer. cx

Chapter 1

       "Daniel," a loud voice said, waking me from my sleep. I groaned and turned over, covering my head with my pillow, but that didn't help because it was soon ripped away from me. "You're late."

       I tiredly opened my eyes, squinting so they could adjust to the bright light. "Hmm?"

       "You're late," Mom said. "You were supposed to be at work fifteen minutes ago."

       When my eyes finally adjusted, I looked at the clock resting on my nightstand, seeing that it was seven-fifteen in the morning. I sighed and laid back on my bed, pulling the covers over my head.

       "Daniel, you're not a little kid," Mom said. "You're twenty. I shouldn't be waking you up. Now get dressed and go to work."

       "But I'm tired," I whined, my voice sounding muffled due to my blankets being over my head. "The boss can fire me for all I care." He really wouldn't fire me, unfortunately. One of the many disadvantages of working at a family business; you most likely wouldn't be fired, unless you were a terrible employ.

       "You and I both know that's not going to happen," Mom said before taking the blanket off from over my head. "Daniel, go get ready and go to work. You're going to have to start going more if you want to save up for a ring."

       "Mom, how many times do I have to tell you? I'm not proposing to Courtney. Not yet, anyway."

       Mom huffed. "I don't know why you won't. You've been dating for six years, and you're both twenty."

       "Really? I didn't know that," I said. 

       "Just go to work," Mom said before leaving my bedroom and closing the door behind her.

       I sighed and pulled myself out of bed, rubbing my eyes and lazily making my way to my closet. I was really getting tired of my parents trying to pressure me to propose to my long-term girlfriend of six years. Even though we have been dating for quite some time, I didn't think I was ready for marriage.

       I just wish my parents would understand that it doesn't matter how long Courtney and I have been dating. If one of us wasn't ready, the marriage would only end up being a disaster.

       After I got changed, I went into the washroom and brushed my teeth before heading down the stairs. I grabbed my keys sitting on the hook by the door and opened the door to leave.

       "You can at least fix up your hair," Mom said, right as I was about to close the door.

       "You see, I would, but I rock the messy look."

       "Daniel...."

       "Bye, Mom. Love you." I left the house, quickly closing the door so she wouldn't stop me.

       I made my way down the front steps of our house before I began walking to The Gold Mine; the restaurant my family owns. I have been working there since I was fourteen and I was kind of hoping my dad would fire me.

       He didn't, even after I 'accidentally' spilled some of the most expensive drinks on the ground. Once or twice. A month.

       Oops.

       I got to The Gold Mine and immediately went into the kitchen. I grabbed one of the aprons off the hook and tied it around my waist. "You're late," Dad said.

       "Nah, I'm just on time," I said.

       "You need to stop being lazy," Dad said. "And let me guess, your mother was the one who woke you up?"