Chapter 32

Chapter 32

       I was working at the diner today, thankfully only as a cook because I noticed my dad sitting at one of the tables. Then again, if I was waiting, I could always switch with someone. The advantages of being the owner.

       I was a bit shocked to see my dad there. He had never once come to the diner, even on the opening night. I didn't blame him. I hadn't been to The Gold Mine since I opened the diner.

       Ariella was one of the waitresses today, so when she walked into the kitchen to pick up some orders, I asked, "Do you know why my dad is here?" 

       "Beats me," she said. "He never really said anything when I took his order, except for asking how I was."

       I sighed and went back to cooking the meals on order.

       It wasn't long before Ariella walked back into the kitchen. "He wants to talk to you, by the way," she said.

       "Great," I muttered before looking at Priya. "Can you and the others handle the orders for a few minutes?"

       "Of course," Priya said. "It's not too busy and most of us had been able to take a few minute breaks before the next order comes in."

       I walked out of the kitchen and to the table Dad was sitting at. "You wanted to talk to me?" I asked.

       Dad nodded and gestured for me to sit down across from him. I hesitated for a bit before doing so. "I should have come here sooner," Dad said. "It really does have the 50's vibe."

       "What are you really doing here?" I asked. "Because I know you didn't come here for the food."

       "I wanted to see how you're doing," Dad said. 

       "Well, aside from the fact that my parents are too hung up on my ex, I'm good," I said.

       "That's your mother who is hung up on Courtney," Dad said. "While I admit that I did want you two to stay together for the deal, I soon realized that you're not going to get back together with Courtney, and you're doing a lot better now that you aren't dating her. You opened a diner that's running efficiently, you don't show up late to places anymore. You're really responsible."

       "Is there anything you want?" I asked. "Because it sounds like you're trying to butter me up."

       "I'm not," Dad said. "I was thinking about what you said last night. You're taking responsibility for getting you're girlfriend pregnant, and you love her so much. I was too focused wanting to expand The Gold Mine that I was forgetting about my son's own feelings. You really love Destiny, don't you?"

       I nodded. "Yeah, more than everything. I was serious about what I said last night. She is the best thing that has ever happened to me and I'm really happy I have her in my life."

       "I can see it," Dad said. "I didn't see it before, but now, I see how happy you are now. You smile a lot more. So, how's Destiny doing?"

       "She's doing good," I said. "Well, kind of. She is upset that Mom kicked her out of the play after she worked really hard to stay in there."

       "I know," Dad said. "I tried talking to her about it, but she wouldn't budge. She doesn't think an understudy is needed anymore."

       Of course she didn't. 

       "So, what are you and Destiny hoping for?" Dad asked.

       "We're fine with either a boy or a girl," I said. "As long as it's a healthy baby. It's going to be weird being a dad, but at the same time, I'm actually excited just imagining me holding my son or daughter for the first time."

       Dad smiled softly. "And I can't wait to meet my future grandchild. Alright, I should let you get back to work."

       I stood up and was about to head back to the kitchen, but I looked at my dad first. "Thanks. For coming here. It means a lot."

       "Of course," Dad said. "After all, you are my son so I should be supporting you in every way as possible."

       I smiled back at him before heading into the kitchen. "So, what did he want?" Priya asked.

      "He finally realized how much Destiny means to me," I said. "Oh, and....other things I remember I hadn't told you yet."

       "Sounds intriguing," Priya said. "Do tell."

       I reached into my pocked and pulled out my cell phone to text her since I didn't want too many people finding out, and quite a few workers were in the kitchen.

       "Really?" she asked. "You're just ignoring me and going on your phone."

       "Hold on," I said, typing Destiny's pregnant and sending it to Priya.

       Moments later, her cell phone beeped with a new message. "That was from you, right?" she asked and I nodded. "Sorry, but I'm not allowed to be on my phone on the job."

       "Just read the message," I said.

       Priya pulled her cell phone out of the pocket and stared at her phone for a while before looking at me. "Are you serious?" she asked.

       "Yeah," I said.

       "And you're telling me now?" she asked. "I thought I was your best friend."

       "You are," I said. "A lot has been going on since I found out, which was only three days ago, so don't get mad at me for not dropping everything and telling you."

       "You're rude," she said. "Did you tell Gerard?"

       "Not yet."

       "I'm going to tell him," she said, quickly sending out a text to him before I could stop here.

       "Great, now he's going to get mad at me for not telling him," I said. "I was literally about to text him."

       "Yeah? Well, you took to long, so I did it." Her phone got a message shortly after. "He said he's mad at you for not telling him."

       "Exactly what I just said."

       "And how he's not going to talk to you for a long time until you apologize."

       I sighed. "You see what you caused?"

       Priya shrugged. "It's not my fault he's dramatic."

________________

Aww yay one of Dan's parents is trying with him now. :D

YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW BAD I WANT TO START WRITING THE SECOND BOOK. I WILL POWER THROUGH THESE NEXT 8 CHAPTERS (hopefully, depending on if I actually know what to write)

Seriously, drama is going to start in the very first chapter of book 2. cx And because of what happens in the first chapter, I'll probably write a short story, probably about 5 chapters, of what happened between book 1 and 2. I can say too much, but it will all make sense in the first chapter of book 2. cx