Chapter 2

Chapter 2

       "I don't know why you keep bringing this up," I said as Courtney followed me around The Gold Mine while I served people their drinks. It was Friday night; karaoke night and it was always the busiest. I was hoping I could concentrate on my job, nope. Never.

       It was okay, though, because I rarely concentrated anyway.

       "Because you always refused to sing during karaoke night, claiming you don't sing," Courtney said. "But suddenly, you decide to sing just to make a girl feel comfortable."

       I sighed and set two glasses of champagne down in front of a couple, feeling very tempted to roll my eyes.

       I then turned to Courtney. "I said I don't sing, not I couldn't. I've told you, you've heard me sing before."

       "Yeah, in the car where it sounds like you're not even trying," Courtney said. "It's just a bunch of us having fun. I've tried before to get you to do a song on karaoke night and you always refused."

       "Look, I've told you many times, Destiny is my Enzo's daughter, and Enzo is my grandpa's best friend," I said. "She's knew to the village and I want her to feel comfortable here."

       "Someone else can do it," Courtney said. "I don't know why you have to."

       "Do you ever listen?" I asked. "She is my grandpa's best friend's granddaughter. Look, I'm sorry for wanting her to feel comfortable after she's mourning her parents right now. Call me a bad person."

       Courtney furrowed her eyebrows and tilted her head. "Huh?"

       "Her parents passed away," I said. "And if she loves theater, then I want her to audition so she can do something to help take her mind off of it, but she'll only audition if she feels comfortable, so I'm showing her that it's not that nerve-wracking."

       "Then give her a pep talk or whatever," Courtney said. "You don't have to sing for her."

       "I'm not si--You know what? I have work to do," I said, not even wanting to bother with her right now. I didn't get what was so bad about me wanting to help Enzo's granddaughter feel comfortable here.

       "Ooh, that sounded like an argument," one of my best friends, Priya, said as I walked into the kitchen. 

       "I don't even know what's going on in her head right now," I said. "She's upset that I'm going to be singing for karaoke night to make sure Destiny feels comfortable about singing her so she can audition for the play."

       Priya snorted and raised an eyebrow. "Courtney Goodman, everyone. The most possessive girlfriend out there."

       "She's not possessive," I said.

       "I agree to disagree."

       I rolled my eyes and started getting Enzo's favorite drink ready, knowing he was about to show up any second, and I didn't have any tables to wait at the moment. While karaoke night was the busiest, most people just ended up ordering buffalo wings or nachos, so it made things a lot easier for us.

       I soon saw Enzo and Destiny walk in, so I grabbed Enzo's drink and a glass of water as well before walking over to the table they were sitting at. "Here you go," I said, setting them down. "On the house. Just don't tell my dad or it will actually come out of my paycheck.

       "Don't worry, my lips are sealed," Enzo said. "Well, they will be after I have some of this delicious drink because it's kind of hard to drink with my lips sealed." He took a long sip. "Ahhh, that's the stuff. Destiny, you're sure missing out."